I am so excited! Going on a striper fishing trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
So I was going to spend a little of my tax return on a charter on the Ohio River to go striper fishing. I'd like to learn how to catch the big river ones so I could go out on my own boat and do it.

https://www.fishohioriver.com/

I was going to take my dad, and I asked a friend if he'd like to come along too, as long as he paid the difference on adding a 3rd person.

He said "Why do you want to pay for a charter when we can just go to my grandpa's bait shop and striper fish at Kentucky Lake"

So....Here we go!

I booked a cabin for 2 nights next month and I'm taking my dad with me. We'll be fishing the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers below the dams for Barkley and Kentucky Lake.

I offered to book a bigger cabin and bring my wife and kids, but my wife was like "eh, I don't want to chase the kids around a rental place for 2 days making sure they don't break anything. Have fun." So I just got a 2 bedroom place for me and dad.

This is my first "fishing trip" since I was a kid. We went to Dale Hollow last summer, but it was more of a camping trip where I fished after the kids were in bed.

When I was 7, my dad took me to Sioux Lookout, Ontario to go pike fishing.

Here's a few pics from that trip -

XQ43ovn.jpg

22I50DC.jpg

This is my grandfather, we're in front of the cabin we stayed in.

DfKNZ4v.jpg

He's all worked up that I'm paying for everything. But he took me on that trip, and this really isn't that expensive. The cabin I got is only $89 a night, and it has a full kitchen. I'm probably just going to bring a couple frozen lasagnas with us for dinners because we'll be worn out from fishing all day. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, and lunch meat for lunch.

The great thing about Kentucky is there is no fishing pole limit. So we're both scrambling to scrape together every rod and reel we can find, so we can get as much bait out there as possible.

Here he is with a big clutch of Bass, bluegill and crappie.

iYBZS8B.jpg

I can't wait to see those replaced with some big ol' stripers like this -

duxQ4dP.png

Hope you have a great time! I lived in SC. for a while and fished for big stripers then. Awesome fish! The locals called them "wipers"! because they wiped out your tackle!

Awesome. I grew up there in the Cincy area, just over the state line into Indiana. (Saw the Colerain t-shirt)

Never did any striper fishing up there, though.

I fish for stripes with my Dad on the TN river at Savanah. They are great fighters, even the smaller ones feel like a ton of fish. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

sunshine said:
Awesome. I grew up there in the Cincy area, just over the state line into Indiana. (Saw the Colerain t-shirt)

Never did any striper fishing up there, though.

Haha, yeah, we live in the east side. Someone gave him a big box of colerain t-shirts.

East Fork lake is full of stripers. I've caught a bunch of nice ones there.

awesome! we used to use giant rat'l traps and white buck tails on the james river and in the bay we would throw buck tails around the bay bridge tunnel pilings.

Not sure where you are staying, you mentioned the northern end. If you have a chance and want something instead of frozen lasagna, check out Patty's Settlement in Grand Rivers and order the pork chop.

Have fun up there!

Edited to state correct town name, Grand Rivers.

Heres a few I have been able to get in the boat over the years from Cherokee Lake, TN and also Smith Mountain Lake, VA This thread reminded me I need to get out and fish more species this year :) All of these caught on Live Shad

Attachments

• 5uryjuja.jpg
    5uryjuja.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • vu5yhu7y.jpg
    vu5yhu7y.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 71568_493652570294_2515809_n.jpg
    71568_493652570294_2515809_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 71778_493560785294_1046104_n.jpg
    71778_493560785294_1046104_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,209
Bigwrench said:
Heres a few I have been able to get in the boat over the years from Cherokee Lake, TN and also Smith Mountain Lake, VA This thread reminded me I need to get out and fish more species this year :) All of these caught on Live Shad

Out of curiosity, is there a reason I always see guy's with the bigger striper using a lip grip?

One of the most awesome sights I've ever seen was on Lake Hartwell in 1987. We were out late at night fishing and had a couple floating lights out beside the boat to bring in the bait. Some really big stripers, AND I MEAN REALLY BIG! , tore into those baitfish. They looked like fighter jets ripping thru them. I was the only one awake and I knew we didn"t have tackle to handle those , so I just watched. I"ll never forget that sight.

lugoismad said:
Bigwrench said:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason I always see guy's with the bigger striper using a lip grip?

For me its easier to hold the the grip than a wet mouth, especially when they start flopping around.

I ordered a 12' Okuma surf rod, and I have a big *** surf reel I'm putting on it. Just strung it with 60lb test braid. Hoping to be able to put a big shad right out in the middle of the channel.

Latest posts