Helping with my spelling and grammar...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I always thought that my spelling and grammar usage was really OK. But, I needed a spell checker for my phone and for my Chromebook.

I stumbled on this free app called Grammarly.

Oh, what a surprise it was to find out how many times I was using too many ( or sometimes too few) commas. How many times I actually missed typing a word that I thought I put in a sentence. How using a word like (spellchecker) spell checker is really TWO words, not just one as I'd been typing it for years. Yes, it does the spell checking job just fine, but a lot of programs do that.

It still misses things like which.... to, two, too,.... that I use. Heck, I ought to be able to catch that one. Unfortunately, it doesn't pick up the wrong use of ....your and you're......, but I ought to know better anyhow.

Anyhow, you might want to give it a try, especially.... if you think that you don't need it.

regards, richg99

p.s. I don't think that I ever signed up for anything official with Grammarly. If it asks "do you want to correct it with Grammarly?...." I just go fix whatever it highlighted on my own.

Well, it is an APP....so I got it through my Google Play / APP Store. That is Google Play for 'droid users and I think, APP Store for Apple guys.

On my Chromebook ( which I LOVE) it is also offered as an APP or maybe as an Extension...I never can tell the difference..

I don't know if you are using it on a regular computer if this item works. Try https://www.grammarly.com/ and see if you are trying to use it on a computer.

As an aside.....since I bought my Chromebook ( about $200. to $400.00) I don't touch my regular computer for much of anything. Light, small, far quicker to load and use than any computer I ever had. There are some things it won't do, but since nearly everything is now available on online, I no longer have to load up Picasa etc.

richg99

If I can read it it's fine with me, even though there may be a few errors in punctuation or spelling!
Here's a small sample from a book I have that was written by a doctor in 1907.

Maria Slocum waz born at Slocum Hollow, site ov the present Skranton Pennsylvania, about the yer 1799. She ther marid Silas B. Robinson, the first fizishan in Scranton.

Thomas Truxton Slocum waz born 9 June 1812, at Slocom Hollow, Lackawana county, Pennsylvania. In the yer 1826 he movd with hiz father to a farm which included the present Vilaj ov Tunkhannok, Pa. He sukseded hiz father in the ownership ov this farm, and gav two akers ov land 25 May, 1842 on which to bild the Korthous when Tunkhannok was chozn az the seat ov government ov Wyoming County.
Heck: I can read this perfectly, but there is sure a lot of RED showing up on the computer! :lol:

No me, apparently the Doc. didn't have spell check in 1907! :LOL2:
Certain parts of the book have perfect spelling, but all of the genealogy references are written in this manner.
I often wondered if it's written based on old English or something similar, or if he just couldn't spell.

Latest posts