Headlight projector retrofit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I'm really excited about a project I just finished...just in time to start on my Weldbilt.

I have a 2008 F150 King Ranch, and decided to retrofit projectors from a Lexus RX350 into them. It's a very time consuming project that involves putting the lights in the oven and baking them for disassembly. Once disassembled, a steady hand and a dremel carefully cut away to fit the projector in. Once everything fits, a little spray paint, and some JB weld to hole the projector in. I don't have a before and after of the stock headlight beam, but here is a before and after of the headlight itself.

I "tuned" the projector to get the most color flicker out of it. Color flicker is the deep blue line on top of the cutoff. Often times you see this color flicker while approaching a vehicle with projectors. It makes it appear as though the lights are blue.

As an automotive enthusiast, I love seeing projector retrofits. I've seen a lot of them done poorly. This one appears to be well done with an absolute beautiful cutoff. Well done sir.

-CN- said:
To approaching vehicles with headlights like that...."F*** YOU!"
Naw naw naw. These are perfectly acceptable since they come factory in vehicles these days. The "f*** you" moment comes into play when a vehicle approaches you with HIDs in reflective housings. Seems to be mostly kids these days.

Wyatt is correct, these are 100% OEM projectors from Lexus. The cutoff on these projectors is notched so that oncoming traffic isn't blinded, while allowing more light down the road in front of you.

Now...in the very last pic, I have my high beams, Morimoto XB LED fog lights (which are also DOT/SAE approved), Rigid Industries 20" light bar, and LED Golight spotlight on. Here's another pic. Note: I only use my light bar and spot light while off-road, or alone on dark back roads.

Latest posts