Happy Veterans Day

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:USA1: oh yeah !! to ALL the veterans that serve and have served ! :USA1:

I met an elderly gentleman a few weeks ago that was wearing
an "Iwo Jima WWII" hat and I stopped to shake his hand and
thank him for his courage and service in such a pivital battle as Iwo Jima was.
while he was telling me of his colorful military career of 30 years in the US Marine Corps,
the more he talked, the more we had in common.........
my father was in the first wave of tanks that hit Leyte Island, Philippines and also
the first wave of tanks to invade Okinawa, Japan . . . telling this to the veteran,
he told me that he was about 4 hours ahead of the tanks in both battles with a flame thrower
strapped to his back - on Okinawa, he went through 15 flame throwers on the first day alone.
that is when I told him, that because of him, I was able to stand with him at that moment and have
that conversation - as it is a real possibility that he and his company of brave Marines
saved my fathers life as well as hundreds of the Army foot soldiers and tanks on just those first days of battle.
A short time later, he and his unit packed up and landed on the beaches of Iwo Jima and we all know
how that turned the page in military history.

so again, THANK YOU to all that have served and are serving now.
and a SPECIAL THANK YOU to the spouces, parents and loved ones that are
also affected deeply and share equally in your military life. They too carried the burden of worry.

Please, when you see a veteran - stop and greet him or her with a warm handshake and heartfelt
gratitude for their service...... you do not know how their actions could have impacted your life.

Johnny
US Navy (RET) 1966 - 1987

Latest posts