How many strikes...when trolling?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I received the attached LINK today.

The fish may be European Northern Pike, but the video shows what we can't see when trolling. Only a few minutes. Enjoy.

richg99

"How many Strikes?"
https://youtu.be/15d-aumX6Sg

While trolling for walleye I get most of my strikes when I let the lure drop back after a steady speed.
Need to give the "follows" a reason to strike. I troll 10-15 seconds steady, then let it drop back 4-5'. If no response I bring the rod back to the "steady troll" position and go again. I get relatively few strikes on a "dead stick" compared to one actively worked.

bunny said:
While trolling for walleye I get most of my strikes when I let the lure drop back after a steady speed.
Need to give the "follows" a reason to strike. I troll 10-15 seconds steady, then let it drop back 4-5'. If no response I bring the rod back to the "steady troll" position and go again. I get relatively few strikes on a "dead stick" compared to one actively worked.

I'm with you and Rich on this. I am constantly making turns and changing speed while trolling. Seems to "up" the action considerably. While I don't do it intentionally, I occasionally get a little to aggressive and accidentally drag my down rigger weights across shoals/ledges. Seems I get a fair percentage of bass hook-ups when that happens. I see them dragging. Rush back to raise the riggers a few feet so I don't get hung up. Rod keeps bouncing and what do you know, fish on. Kind of a Keystone Cops moment.

Latest posts