ARRRrrrrrgggghhh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Snuck out early yesterday morning. Left a note for the wife. Headed to my local reservoir for a few hours fishing. Got there and found that the ramps are closed because of high water. Next nearest reservoir is also closed because of flooding. Crazy after 4 or 5 years of severe drought we are now having problems because of too much water. Just found out one ramp opened up this afternoon. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning. Hopefully a few days without rain will have allowed the water to clear up some.

Incidentally, I don't know if the Lake Oroville Dam problem is making the news outside of California. They evacuated a town and other places in the inundation area because of concerns with the dam breaking. In 2014 Lake Oroville was almost nonexistent due to the drought. Now it is overflowing. It is a real eye opener to see images of the lake in 2014 compared to today.

Nice that the drought in Northern California is officially over. Feel bad for the folks who are dealing with mud slides, flooding, evacuations, etc. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon.

Been reading about it, not too much on the news about it though, seems like they have "MUCH" more unimportant things to cover!
They are saying around 200,000 people being evacuated, I would think they are very concerned!
Just read an article where they were warned that that overflow wasn't designed properly, but did nothing about it.

Yep, last I heard it was about 200,000 impacted. I had heard some complaints that the mandatory evacuation was overkill, but in my view it is much better to be safe than sorry. I think the authorities made a good call. I also heard the town of Oroville would be hit by a 100' wave if the dam let loose. I don't know if that is true, but it is sure scary enough for me.

I attempted to attach a before and after image here. Couple of years ago this Lake was pretty much a mud hole.

OOPS - Just realized I attached a before/after of Folsom Lake (near Sacramento) instead of Lake Oroville. Still is fairly descriptive of the impact on many of our larger reservoirs.

Attachments

• FolsomNowThen1_1484615009642_7697120_ver1.0_1484686442205_7705621_ver1.0.jpg
    FolsomNowThen1_1484615009642_7697120_ver1.0_1484686442205_7705621_ver1.0.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 739
I'm glad to see you have water again I was at lake mead and docks were on the ground big shock to me, I'm from Mo and the Mississippi River always floods the area I've seen it over the locks many times.

Well at least you have enough water for awhile and the fishing will be nice to

Crazyboat said:
I've never really used a ramp on a regular basis, why shut down a ramp when the water is too high? Is the water covering the entire ramp?

The lake I was referring to in my original post is San Pablo Reservoir. Water was right to the top of the ramps but not encroaching beyond that. The ramps were actually usable. Unfortunately, high water resulted in a sizable gap to the floating docks that serve the boat ramps. The water company that operates the reservoir decided that possibility of injury by someone trying to use the floating docks wasn't worth the risk, so shut the ramps down. As of now, water levels are down a few feet and the ramps are back in service. I was there yesterday and the water was very muddy. Nice day for a boat ride but not for fishing.

In another one of my nearby lakes the ramps and approach roads were under completely under water and the picnic areas, tackle shop and other buildings were flooded. As I understand, water levels are OK now but they need to make sure the facilities (like electrical) are safe for use.

Latest posts