GPS navigation/ what to buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
If I ever wind up getting a tin boat and using the rivers near my house I'd like a GPS device to show me approx. where I'm at. Is there any real reason when using rivers to get a marine exclusive GPS, I just need to see land masses and bodies of water so I knowhow far from home I've ventured. Pretty much any GPS can do that I'm thinking. What do you say, marine due to being on the water? Or other reasons for one?

Crazyboat said:
If I ever wind up getting a tin boat and using the rivers near my house I'd like a GPS device to show me approx. where I'm at. Is there any real reason when using rivers to get a marine exclusive GPS, I just need to see land masses and bodies of water so I knowhow far from home I've ventured. Pretty much any GPS can do that I'm thinking. What do you say, marine due to being on the water? Or other reasons for one?

You'll be fine with whatever. If you don't have a nice handheld (e.g. Garmin), I'd recommend that, you can take it anywhere.

Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought. Older used car GPS units are all over the place now that Navigation comes in many newer cars. Should be able to pick one up cheap.

stinkfoot said:
Most of my buddies use Navionics app on a smart phone or iPad. Works great.

I've downloaded the 9.99 version, it works great on my phone but not on my iPad. Not easy on date usage though if that's an issue for you. If not I recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
stinkfoot said:

I've downloaded the 9.99 version, it works great on my phone but not on my iPad. Not easy on date usage though if that's an issue for you. If not I recommend it.

My buddy Gord uses his on his iPad on a river with no cell coverage. Still works great. No data needed.

stinkfoot said:
Catch Release Repeat said:
stinkfoot said:

My buddy Gord uses his on his iPad on a river with no cell coverage. Still works great. No data needed.
Nice option but doubt I'll be bringing an ipad on the boat anytime soon. Smart phone will do the trick or someones old car GPS.

Latest posts