Aquariam Owners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
I've got a 20 gallon aquarium with plates(easy fish to raise) and have been wanting to go bigger and get an oscar or two, I've read and asked about'em, and still like to have some.

On the tank tho, is it easy'er to take care of a bigger tank than a smaller one?

compared with my 20 gallon-I have to top off the water once a month, clean it the same. on one that say 100 gallon, would it be the same time table on care? or can you go longer on these issues?? considering having two oscars in it?

anyone got first hand on this :)

i had four oscars in a 55 gallon tank with dual filters undergravel filters with areating heads still had to clean the tank about once a month but i feed mine goldfish i upgraded to a 250 gallon tank it is about the same my oscars is about 5 lbs now i really enjoy them

dedawg1149 said:
i had four oscars in a 55 gallon tank with dual filters undergravel filters with areating heads still had to clean the tank about once a month but i feed mine goldfish i upgraded to a 250 gallon tank it is about the same my oscars is about 5 lbs now i really enjoy them

what about you topping off the water ? I know it happens but does it slow down on a bigger tank? What I dislike about it is when you top off you have to re-balance everything again :( No problem but seems to roll around quickly and I'm getting frustrated with it, just wondering does it slow down on a bigger tank or increase?

Thanks for the reply

I have a 150 gallon tank that i keep plecos in I have 7 different types of plecos I do a 25%water change every 2 days to keep the water in good shape 1 of my plecos cost me $75 for a 3"fish and they need real clean water. My main filter is the size of a swimming pool filter sits about 2 ft tall and 1 ft around and has 1" hoses. I have 2 other filters that i run filled with bio balls to keep my bio load down.
for oscars you can get away with less water care but your fish will not do as well. evaporation will increase in a larger tank due to the large surface area.
I would do a 25% water change at least once a week your fish will thrive!!!

Thanks, wow 25% change every two days???

see I'd hate not to enjoy the bigger aquarium after being burnt out on the care, between the Wife,kids, dogs, cats, rabbit,and fish-along with my job and friends and fishing-where do ya find time to maitenance the water :roll:

what about tricks, you know somethen simpler and quicker? tap a water line close by, I'd hate to lug the water back and fourth from the kitchen to the family room :roll:

it isn't too bad I have a hose hooked up that i vacuum the bottom I do 1/3 of the bottom each water change that only takes about 15mins then refill from the tap through a filter that removes chlorine
the benefits out way the time and effort.
I also have several breeding pair of kirbinses in the tank they make babies about every 20 days.
i would love to get a pair of my albino bristlenose plecos to spawn time will see

Wayne

RedBug where do ya get your stuff at?

Do you got an oppinion on a good set up for say two oscars? you know the inside equipment that you have to find out for yourself that really works not what the store wants you to buy :lol:

do those things(my mind just went blank on the name)that goes under the rocks for cleaning the tank really work?

I'm nt a fan of under gravel filters for oscars they are poop machines so you will need to keep the gravel clean
fuval makes a nice canister filter that has a good water flow and is easy to clean if you dont mind a hang on back they are the easy way to go just be sure to get one large enough to handle the bio load.
most of my fish have come through the mail i use aqua bid it is like ebay for fish related stuff. you can get some nice deals there.
Smith and fosters has some good deals on filters and other goods they are also on the web

its hard to find good healthy fish in my area so i shop online for them

Wayne

I also have several breeding pair of kirbinses in the tank they make babies about every 20 days.

[/quote]

What is a Kirbinses?

here are some baby kribs the females belly turns almost black when they are ready to spawn
kribjuvies.jpg

this is a Queen Arabesque pleco they are one of the many pleco i have they eat raw veggies and love watermelon
27-1.jpg

and last my pair of albino bristle nose plecos the male has the bristles
abn_pair_5s.jpg

the krib picts and the queen are just photos off the web
the bristlenose are of my fish when they were young the male now has a full bristle on him looks cool

Latest posts