The REAL story of Geo. Perry's 1930's world record LM bass.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering all the mystery and faults in weighing and documenting it, it is surprising it was ever approved as a world record fish. In todays world, every thing must be accurate and verified to be accepted as a record. A lot different back then I suppose mainly because much less $$$ was involved, almost none as a matter of fact.
Tim

I totally agree that there were tons of facts that seemed to have never been properly checked.

$2,000 back in the 1930's was a TON of money. Heck, my first real job only paid $65.00 a week, and that was in 1958.

Things were different then, of course. I guess F&S magazine liked having the big story more than the necessity of checking the story out more thoroughly.

rich

Interesting read, I read an article many years ago that a guy caught a possible new world record LM bass in Treasure Lake Cuba and they ate it, his family was hungry! :shock: :lol:
$2,000 may not seem like that much today, but agree that back then it was quite a bit of money.
Just thinking, Rich must have had a really good job, I started working at $1.25 hr. in 1966 :lol: After the military I got my real job at Bethlehem Steel in 1970 and started at $2.64 hr.
As was stated, in the 30's, and with the depression, that $2,000 would have been substantial.

overboard said:
Interesting read, I read an article many years ago that a guy caught a possible new world record LM bass in Treasure Lake Cuba and they ate it, his family was hungry! :shock: :lol:
$2,000 may not seem like that much today, but agree that back then it was quite a bit of money.
Just thinking, Rich must have had a really good job, I started working at $1.25 hr. in 1966 :lol: After the military I got my real job at Bethlehem Steel in 1970 and started at $2.64 hr.
As was stated, in the 30's, and with the depression, that $2,000 would have been substantial.

Bethlehem steel? Are you from buffalo? I'm in hamburg never knew anyone else on the forum was from the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked for Bethlehem Steel at the Bethlehem PA plant, they also had other plants including Lackawanna, which I believe is the one you are referring to.

Latest posts