Two stroke rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
I pulled a REAL good one the other day. :shock:
Seems like the indicator light on my Polaris 400 4 wheeler went out and I let it run out of oil!! :oops:
I know ,I know don't even say it i have already heard it ALL from my wife LOL. :mrgreen:
Anyway,it's not something i usually checked since the light always worked.If it got a little low the light would come on and i would add oil,if it didn't,i just drove it.
Now,my question is since it's not just a regular topend rebuild for a 2 stroke and i DID run it out of oil is it worth rebuilding or do you all think it's too far gone :?:
The bike itself is a 94 model and is in pretty good shape considering how old it is i just don't know enough about them to try to rebuild myself and i don't want to spend the money if it's going to cost a fortune.
What would you do??? :-k

what exactly went wrong, did it seize? if you have any mechanical ability at all you should be able to rebuild the top end of a 2 stroke. it really is very easy, and allot cheaper then paying a shop. if you screw it up, then you take it to a shop. it may not be damaged, i rode my turd 86 yamaha moped about 10 miles once on straight gas, wot the whole way and it caused no damage. just tear into it and see whats wrong.

It would run for about 15 or 20 seconds then die....... run 15-20 seconds.........die again,done this for about 4 or 5 times and on the last run(trying to make it home) it made a little bit of a (wrong) noise and stopped and when i tried to fire it up again it wouldn't.
When i pulled the rope trying to start it, acts like it has no compression but it's still making revolutions without any noises or locking up etc.My guess is i prob. spun a bearing??????

no compression.... maybe you melted the piston, it probably ran bad up until that point because it was really overheated. you gotta tear into it to see whats wrong for sure.

come to think of it i have had that happen to me on other things, sometimes what happens is the piston ring will crack, making it lose some compression (runs bad) and eventually the other ring cracks and you lose all compression. this is caused by overheating and would be best case scenario for you, like i said if you ran it a while with no oil, theres a good chance you melted the piston.

Latest posts