DogTV - Will Wonders Never Cease?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw an ad on my Comcast/Xfinity service for DogTV. Only $4.99/month. This is not a channel for pet owners to watch dog stuff. This is a channel for dogs.

According to an animal sciences professor from Tufts University, the channel is designed to appeal to dogs. He explains that with the old analog TVs all dogs really saw was a bunch of flickering. With digital TV, dogs see the same things as us. He goes on to explain that colors will look a little off to us humans because they are adjusted to address the red/green deficiency of canines.

There are three broad programming groups. The first is action oriented like chasing balls or playing fetch. I guess the equivalent of our action movies. The second is intended to be relaxing with tranquil scenes and background music to promote napping (something my dogs don't need help with). The last is intended to expose our dogs to those things that might cause them anxiety, like vacuum cleaners and doorbells.

For me, no thanks.

I suspect CatTV is just around the corner.

PS: Warriors up by six @ 2nd quarter.

I would think a lot of people who leave their dogs in their home while they are working will get Dog TV. Might keep some dogs entertained enough so they don't chew furniture or mess up the place.

BillPlayfoot said:
I would think a lot of people who leave their dogs in their home while they are working will get Dog TV. Might keep some dogs entertained enough so they don't chew furniture or mess up the place.

Ok maybe so, but I'm drawing the line at making recordings of their favorite shows. Haha

I don't pay too much attention to all the new technology so when I see something like this I get particularly horrified. I was recently in Best Buy and saw this contraption to allow pet owners to communicate with their dogs/cats while away. It was sort of a Face Time for pets. It's prob mostly to deal with the anxiety of the owners.

Just last night I was watching a really interesting documentary about Arabia on NetFlix. In one scene they were showing camel racing. It's pretty amazing. They use mechanical jockeys that have a speaker in them so the owners can call to them remotely. The owners drive alongside the track with 2-way radios yelling commands to the camels while using a remote they make the mechanical jockey slap the camel in the rear end to urge it on. It's very crazy to watch and a wonder no one gets killed. It's all that rich oil money that makes them do stuff like that. And the sun.

Speaking of rear ends, here's a shot of some camels with the mechanical jockey. I picked a shot of the behinds because that's the camel's good side. Man, talk about putting the U in ugly. Moose are beauty queens in comparison.

Here's a link to a Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVusrd1jXqc

Latest posts