Salmon escape in the Pacific Northwest

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently extreme high tides and currents caused a pen failure at an aqua-farming facility in the straights not far from Bellingham WA that held something like 305,000 Atlantic Salmon. Not sure how many escaped but local chinook fisherman were surprised to be pulling in shiny silver sided atlantic salmon. Averaging about 10 lbs, there is a big concern that the escapees will wreak havoc with the native fish population. The powers that be are inviting all comers to catch as many as possible. A fishing license is needed, but no size or bag limits. They want them gone.

So, if you want some decent salmon fishing, load up your boats and head on up to the Pacific Northwest.

LOL and out east the chinooks in the great lakes are there because they out-survive the native atlantic salmon

My wife was just commenting that salmon prices were high. Probably going to get worse now.

I wonder -- if the commercial guys catch and sell these do they call them wild or farmed.

LDUBS said:
My wife was just commenting that salmon prices were high. Probably going to get worse now.

I wonder -- if the commercial guys catch and sell these do they call them wild or farmed.

You would know. I wouldn't touch a farmed salmon with a 10 foot pole.

stinkfoot said:
LDUBS said:

Agree, we consume our fair share of salmon but avoid the farmed stuff. If prices continue to go up, I might have to chase after some this fall.

Also, I guess they are now saying that only about 4,000 to 5,000 got out. Where this happened isn't all that far from you up in BC.

LDUBS said:
stinkfoot said:
LDUBS said:

Agree, we consume our fair share of salmon but avoid the farmed stuff. If prices continue to go up, I might have to chase after some this fall.

Also, I guess they are now saying that only about 4,000 to 5,000 got out. Where this happened isn't all that far from you up in BC.
It's actually right on the border. I am very anti ocean based fish farming. And the fish just look horrible.

Latest posts