Anyone following the Olympics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been watching them but only about 17 hours a day...

I have 1 question ... how come the USA didn't win the archery ? with all the red neck hunters we have it should have been a slaughter

Kuddos to Michael and that 41 old lady Torres, great swimmers...

I think the whole thing with Giorgia and Russia has tainted the whole thing.

I feel so bad for those at Giorgia, what a life to live under war....

Part of Olympic fireworks faked in broadcast
Some aerial footage of display digitally created months in advance

NBC

The Beijing Times reported that part of the elaborate Olympic opening ceremonies display broadcast to the world were actually done digitally in 3-D computer graphics.

The Beijing Times, which first reported the story, said members of the Beijing Olympic Committee defended the action because of the city’s hazy, smoggy skies, which made such a complicated display at night too difficult to pull off successfully.

Committee members also said they were concerned that the helicopter pilot who would have flown overhead to film the fireworks would have been “at risk by making him try to follow the firework route,” according to a quote from a committee member reported in a Daily Telegraph story.

It took planners almost a year to create the 55-second sequence which appeared to be more than two dozen footprints amidst fireworks in the sky, said Gao Xiaolong, head of the visual effects team for the ceremony, in the Daily Telegraph story.

Even those at the city’s new Bird’s Nest National Stadium, where the Olympics are being held, viewed the fake footage from their seats as they watched on the stadium’s giant television screens, said Britain’s Sky News, in a story, “Olympic Fireworks Faked for TV.”

“Stunned viewers thought they were watching the string of fireworks filmed from above by a helicopter,” said SkyNews.com. “ But in reality they were watching a 3-D graphics sequence that took almost a year to produce.”

There were some real fireworks going on outside the stadium. But the footprint display was “inserted into the coverage electronically at exactly the right moment,” the Daily Telegraph said.

“Meticulous efforts were made to ensure the sequence was as unnoticeable as possible,” the newspaper reported Xiaolong as saying. “They sought advice from the Beijing meteorological office as to how to recreate the hazy effects of Beijing’s smog at night, and inserted a slight camera shake effect to simulate the idea that it was filmed from a helicopter.”

“Seeing how it worked out, it was still a bit too bright compared to the actual fireworks,” Xiaolong said in comments that appeared in the Daily Telegraph. “But most of the audience thought it was filmed live — so that was mission accomplished.”

Because the only organization in control of all Olympics footage is Beijing Olympic Broadcasting, the feed went out to everyone broadcasting the event, including NBC, which has exclusive rights in the United States to show the games. NBC's online coverage is being delivered by the MSN Network, NBCOlympics.com on MSN. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

During Friday night’s opening ceremony, the network averaged 34.2 million viewers, making it the biggest television event since the Super Bowl, according to the Associated Press.

The network has been criticized itself for the 12-hour tape delay in showing the opening ceremonies, which it did because of the time difference between China and the United States, driving some viewers to other Web sites around the world to see the event live.

I wasnt too keen on the babmitten and they carry 5 or 6 rackets, What can you say about Mr. Phelps, I;m surprised they didnt check his feet to see if he had webs surgically implanted between his toes, USA USA USA.

The wife said he just about got beat tonight.

I was out prepping the boat for the morning voyage since it's finally cooled down a little bit.

Quackrstackr said:
The wife said he just about got beat tonight.

I was out prepping the boat for the morning voyage since it's finally cooled down a little bit.

Was an awesome race! He one by a fingernail... no joke! :shock:

Trying to catch it when I can. 8)

I have 1 question ... how come the USA didn't win the archery ? with all the red neck hunters we have it should have been a slaughter

I think it's due to them not wearing any MossyOak camo :wink:

The Navy SEALs would probably try to recruit Phelps if he could swim quieter 8)

I'm not in general interested in any of the the Olympic sports, however I have been drawn into the games this year. There have been some great feats and Phelps has been amazing. I think the Chinese age ????????, the staged fireworks, etc. have just created more buzz which has drawn a wider audience.

Hes done it. won 8 gold medals. he is pretty good at that swimmin stuff he does. :mrgreen: . he is a MACHINE! (a water proof one at that) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Phelps is puttin' a whoopin' on 'em!
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Latest posts