Uber Robot Car Kills Pedestrian in Tempe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This has been in the news. Apparently there is a lot more of this driver-less car testing going than at least I was aware of.

In the case of the death in Arizona, there was a real human back-up in the car, but she wasn't paying any attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

I have seen the video. I do not like the idea of self driving cars at the moment but in defense of the self driving car, the woman who was hit was crossing the street at night in dark clothes walking the bicycle while not in a crosswalk. I do not know if there were crosswalks nearby or not. It was hard to see her with the car camera's view that I saw. The operator of the vehicle should have been paying attention. She may have been able to spot her earlier than the camera could have while the victim was out view of the camera. Another thing I noticed is that the woman who was hit was paying no attention to the car coming at her as she crossed the street. I do not believe she saw the car or was the daring type that will walk in front of a moving car expecting the car to stop for their progress. There are a lot of that type of people here in Charleston. They will walk out in front of you and dare you hit them. They will suddenly stop in your lane of travel and glare at you. They will then very slowly move out of your way to let you go on your way. If you are crossing a street assume the vehicle does not see you. Look both ways and make sure you have time to cross before the vehicle gets to you.

KMixson said:
It was hard to see her with the car camera's view that I saw.

There are thermal and infrared sensors that can be fitted to the car, eliminating this problem.

KMixson said:
or was the daring type that will walk in front of a moving car expecting the car to stop for their progress. There are a lot of that type of people here in Charleston. They will walk out in front of you and dare you hit them. They will suddenly stop in your lane of travel and glare at you. They will then very slowly move out of your way to let you go on your way.

These people need to get hit, in order to remind them about the laws of physics, and human abilities or inabilities.
This is also what pedestrian right-of-way laws do for/to us all. Give a pedestrian, or cyclist, full authority, and you'll get an increasing number who abuse the privilege. Our neighboring city of Cedar Falls, ( a college town) for example, passed an ordinance a few years ago, that allowed cyclists the right to use the full width of a traffic lane. This has resulted in groups of cyclists riding four abreast, at a leisurely 4MPH, chatting back and forth, oblivious to the fact that they're holding motor traffic back from making real progress. Oh, and these cyclists pay no road use taxes for this privilege.

Now, as to autonomous cars. I'm an industrial maintenance electrician, and the machinery I work on has an increasing number of sensors on them as time goes on. If there's one thing I've learned in my time at this, it's that if man can build it, it will break, and more often, while you're trying to use it. I don't strap my not-so-little pink backside into carnival rides for just that reason. I would arbitrarily outlaw autonomous cars for that alone. Now, add hackers into the equation, and you have a recipe for disaster. Just a modicum of conspiracy theorist will get you a government assassinating folks in a "faulty" auto-car, with a reasonable dose of plausible deniability.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

No disrespect for the dead, but our government has tried and tried to enact laws and regulations to keep us "safe". One thing the government can't do is fix stupid. But it will not stop trying.

Apparently she wasn't at a cross walk and it was dark. Looking at the video I think there is a question whether a driver would have seen her in time.

Hackers! Holy cow, I didn't even think of that.

Latest posts