New guy, Rhino 1448 w/ a Yamaha, few pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bateman

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and the boat. I do not do much hunting or fishing so I've found myself looking for like minded jon boaters and they seem to be few and far between. To add, I can't find a single boat like mine anywhere on the web so I've kind of had to dream up my own ideas or look at other hulls for inspiration.

Anyways, I'm a gear head with a slight speed addiction and I love exploring and looking for nice water and wildlife. Enough about me. No one wants to read this much from a new guy so here's some pics of my setup. Not much at the moment, but I have a few plans. The first will be an upgrade to a 3 cylinder powerplant. Most likely another Yamaha.

It is an Alabama built Rhino Wide Jon. .125" thick, two "stump knockers" run long ways across the bottom and inside for reinforcement, other than that no stringers, just sheet aluminum welded all the way with the two benches. The hull weighs 360 pounds bare.

w8ufk1.jpg

hx2cd5.jpg

mhf311.jpg

Looking forward to talking with other tin boaters and seeing what you guys have going on. Thanks for looking.

Usually when I put the boat in the water I'm rushing to get lines out. For a change it would be kind of fun to kick back and spend some time exploring inlets, river arms, etc.

But then again, in the back of my mind I would be thinking about that 6 pound rainbow just waiting to be caught (by me). :LOL2: :LOL2:

BTW- your boat looks pretty good right now as it sits. Out of curiosity, what are those brackets in the last photo?

Thanks guys.

LDubs, I'm trying to get back into fishing, but to be honest I just flat out don't know what I'm doing unless it's catfish or crappie haha. I'm really trying to learn up on saltwater fishing so that I can possibly catch something this summer when we head down to Cape San Blas. I'm a seafood fiend so I would love to cook something fresh from the water. Will have the boat with me and I am really excited for that.

The brackets were used as transom support when the boat had a 60/40 Jet. The previous owner liked to hit the skinny water up in TN. He has some really cool pics and videos of the boat getting with it in about 6" of water.

The Rhino has served me very well so far. It's pretty much my first boat. I bought a 1436 Tracker and sold it within a week. I have two 85 pound Dobermans that love water as much as I do and that little boat just wasn't going to cut it. The Rhino is much more stable with the 48" floor. It runs 28-30mph with my girl and I and about 200lbs in gear/fuel. Pretty surprising to me for the little 2 cylinder engine. It did take me learning where to put the trim pin and buying a 12" pitch prop to get it there.

Rhinos are a good platform to work with and make excellent boats.

eshaw said:
Rhinos are a good platform to work with and make excellent boats.

That's good to hear. I assume they do not build many boats. Before I bought the hull I tried doing some research for reviews and durability and came up with nothing. After buying it I learned that .125" is kind of overkill for a jon and heavy, but hopefully it will last me a long time.

I guess it's about the heaviest 14' I've heard of. It weighs more than some of the 16' duck boats I've seen. I can't believe it's as fast as it is with the little 2 cylinder. Hopefully a 3 cylinder 30hp will pep it up. I'd love to have the speed in the upper 30's. Some times I tear out for the weekend and go 30 miles in one direction. The extra speed would be nice.

Latest posts