Advice needed, going to look at a 1970's OMC 50hp tomorrow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
I put my 25hp OMC on my new 16' boat but it just didn't have enough balls. She topped out at 9mph.

I'm going to look at mid 70's 50hp OMC tomorrow. The pictures look immaculate, like I could eat off the engine block. Its an older guy and he says he upgraded because he wanted electronic trim because the motor was getting too heavy for him to lift by hand to put his transom saver on. It came off a running boat (actually, the exact same make and model of boat I have) last year, he fogged it and put it away.

He's asking $600 OBO, and I told him I'm driving a long way and I hate to ask this on the phone but would he entertain lower offers. he said we could talk when I get there, but he would certainly be up to discuss the price a bit.

Is a mid 70's OMC 50hp in good shape (with controls) worth $600? If not, what should I consider paying?

Thanks!

If it runs and the compression is good it's probably worth every penny. It also depends on how many years you expect to get out of it.

Not familiar on that model at all, but it is definitely nice to water test one. Although, I know it is not always feasible.

Pappy will know for sure, but some 70s 'rudes have CDI ignition which fails easily. Also, you may not be able to get parts. Buyer beware.

NADA says this is about full retail. Low retail is about $550. I would think driving a ways to get it wouldn't matter much over 50 bucks. If it is as nice as it sounds, pay the 600minus your gas money. He will not pass it up.
Even though it is a mid seventies, from what I have read, most motors didn't change much over several years, so it is possible that even a late 70's or early eighties could be the same technology.

Edit: Should have read next thread.

Latest posts