Another daily rant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Been on a number of forums over the years, and this rant is not unique to this site.
It is a pet peeve of mine that people have to include an entire quote in a given thread when we all know what the thread is about.
For example: The op will post several pics or have a lengthy post. Somewhere down the line, another poster will use the quote button, then make a one line comment. I have to scroll down through several pics, which has already been posted, to get to the point. We all know what the thread is about. Just make a comment and move on. I have seen threads before that has page after page of the same thing because people insist on using the quote button to make a comment.
I don't need to see the same pics four or five times in the same thread.

My lord, your fingers must be really over worked to be concerned about having to push the scroll button, or roll the mouse wheel, to see the rest of the post. Might I suggest soaking your fingers in dawn dish soap, old TV commercials say it works wonders. :p =D> :p

I think it only allows you to nest three "quotes". I know that from experience. :D

I'm guilty of using the quote button. I do it when it seems to make sense to me. Sometimes I delete a lot of the quote to only show the part to which I am referring. Or, said another way, the part I'm referring to. :lol:

PS: You know people are going to quote you all the time now, right?

Pssst: Her name was Madge and it was Palmolive. hahaha

Hmmmm. I have never used the quote button. Didn't even know it was there until last year or so.

I do cut and paste ( and bold face) a line or two from a comment. If I didn't, I don't think the next reader would have any idea what my comment was about.

I find it far more confusing to have someone post. "I didn't like this or that" without saying WHAT post or even who posted it. I guess the use of the "previous quote" doesn't bother me as much as not knowing what someone was replying to.

WV1951 said:
Been on a number of forums over the years, and this rant is not unique to this site.
It is a pet peeve of mine that people have to include an entire quote in a given thread when we all know what the thread is about.
For example: The op will post several pics or have a lengthy post. Somewhere down the line, another poster will use the quote button, then make a one line comment. I have to scroll down through several pics, which has already been posted, to get to the point. We all know what the thread is about. Just make a comment and move on. I have seen threads before that has page after page of the same thing because people insist on using the quote button to make a comment.

I'll try no to do it any more :lol:

WV1951 said:

I will stop quoting when mods remove the quote button :)

WiskeyJaR said:
My lord, your fingers must be really over worked to be concerned about having to push the scroll button, or roll the mouse wheel, to see the rest of the post. Might I suggest soaking your fingers in dawn dish soap, old TV commercials say it works wonders. :p =D> :p

LMAO

As sites go, this site has very few Rants and Complaints. Guess I would like to keep it that way.

I've seen sites come apart due to differences of opinion on topics that had NOTHING to do with the site's "raison d' être"or Reason for Existing.

richg99 said:
As sites go, this site has very few Rants and Complaints. Guess I would like to keep it that way.

I've seen sites come apart due to differences of opinion on topics that had NOTHING to do with the site's "raison d' être"or Reason for Existing.

Only becomes a problem when folks don't agree with my viewpoint. :wink:

I may not always practice what I preach, but the politics and religion rule is a pretty good one. Those topics go south pretty fast.

I was thinking more in terms of peeves about "soupy" pickle relish. But I think that as usual you are dead bang on.

WV1951 said:
WiskeyJaR said:
WiskeyJaR said:
LDUBS said:
I think it only allows you to nest three "quotes". I know that from experience. :D

I'm guilty of using the quote button. I do it when it seems to make sense to me. Sometimes I delete a lot of the quote to only show the part to which I am referring. Or, said another way, the part I'm referring to. :lol:

PS: You know people are going to quote you all the time now, right?

Pssst: Her name was Madge and it was Palmolive. hahaha
richg99 said:
Hmmmm. I have never used the quote button. Didn't even know it was there until last year or so.

I do cut and paste ( and bold face) a line or two from a comment. If I didn't, I don't think the next reader would have any idea what my comment was about.

I find it far more confusing to have someone post. "I didn't like this or that" without saying WHAT post or even who posted it. I guess the use of the "previous quote" doesn't bother me as much as not knowing what someone was replying to.
beetlespin said:
WV1951 said:

I'll try no to do it any more :lol:
Bateman said:
WiskeyJaR said:

LMAO
jethro said:
WV1951 said:
I have to scroll down through several pics, which has already been posted, to get to the point.

How about when I shorten the quote to make a one line comment?
LDUBS said:
WV'51, you ain't getting any love on this one. Haha.

Maybe we need to start a "daily peeve" thread so we can vent.
richg99 said:

LDUBS said:
richg99 said:

Only becomes a problem when folks don't agree with my viewpoint. :wink:

I may not always practice what I preach, but the politics and religion rule is a pretty good one. Those topics go south pretty fast.

I was thinking more in terms of peeves about "soupy" pickle relish. But I think that as usual you are dead bang on.

BROTHER, AIN'T IT THE TRUTH!!!!!

WV1951 said:
Ok, everyone has had their fun.

LDUBS is correct, Should be a pet peeve thread.

Thanks WV '51 but I think Rich is right on. A little sacrifice might be needed to keep the forum friendly. I'm willing to throw in the towel on this one.

Thanks for being a good sport.

I use the tapatalk app for all my forums. Helps stay organized and so easy to view on the phone and add pics which are almost always on my phone.

The tapatalk app shows a reply button (not a quote) button which is a bit misleading....

I don't think we can limit pet peeves to one thread...probably need a whole section devoted to it...[emoji3]
c2e4547dc82d9f8c5983aafbf813ee2a.jpg

Perhaps this is the right day to discuss this. Another fishing website that I visit (BBC) just had a blow-up this morning. End result was a particular member who was pi$$ing Everyone off was banned for life. Good riddance.

Rich, something very similar happened on a local fishing forum. But in this case in addition to other users, the banned person was apparently pi$$ing off the site sponsors with his nonsense. I think another thing that happens is a group of like minded folks will start to gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with them, essentially hijacking the forum.

All good reasons to keep it friendly.

LDUBS said:
>>SNIP<< I think another thing that happens is a group of like minded folks will start to gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with them, essentially hijacking the forum.

Yup the old if "If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you" mentality :)

WV1951 said:

How do you turn it off? I never click anything to include the original message, but it always does automatically when I reply. I see it is doing it on this reply too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that the quote button on the poster's entry has to be clicked in order for this to appear. I didn't click on anything and as you can see, only my comment shows.