You never felt your heart race until...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
One of your tarantulas almost escapes its home. I literally almost crapped my pants. If either of the two I currently have were to get out, He was not the one I would want out. I went to put a cricket in his burrow and he got a ittle upset and shot out the top and was EXTREMELY close to the top of his tank (one leg may have been over) It took 5 minutes for my heart to stop racing.

I lost one earlier this year due to a bad molt (it was still a spiderling so I really couldn't help him without hurting it more), And I had a tree climber (AKA aboreal) That was just hard to keep.

The two I have now are pretty easily kept.

Pictures to entertain follow

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 430
  • feed2.jpg
    feed2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 428
I know, I know not really PG.......but I just had to!

karma.jpg

Hey, I was just giving him his food. Apparently he didn't like it. My mom would have freaked out. She hates spiders with a passion and can sense them in dark rooms.

As a side note, I have never handled any of my tarantulas, as I see no point. There is no reported deaths from tarantula bites in the entire world. I feel they are too fragile and I would have a greater chance of harming them than the opposite. Also EVERY time a tarantula encounters something, it is brand new to them, even if they have done it 100's of times. They have no memory, they just react to their environment (if this happens, then I do this). Therefore they will NEVER get use to being handled, because it is always their first time being handled.

I am bringing home a snake in october from the NARBC expo in Chicago (ball python most likely). If you've never been to a big reptile expo, you need to go, even to just walk around. You would be amazed at how much of a handle some breeders have on genetics for certain species. They are basically producing designer snakes and lizards that are healthy as could be.

I'm with you Andy, I got no problems with any reptile. But spiders and I got an dont touch me and I wont touch you relationship going. Spiders are great for keeping the insect pop. down so I leave them along untill one breaks the deal, and then the rules go out the window.

Great pictures, and good thinking about not handling them. I agree with you about reptile shows, they are awesome, breeders can do amazing things. I plan to get a bearded dragon in the near future, I want something I can handle a lot, and from what I read they are very tolerant to handling. Some of the color morph are incredible.

a guy I work with got a bearded dragon a week or so ago. It's pretty cool and will hang out on his chest and shoulder. I will be handling the snake I get regularly. Another guy I work with has a Burmese python. It's still only about 10 feet long, so it has quite a bit more growing to do. Too big of a snake for me right now, but she was as sweet as could be when he brought her in. She likes to stick her head out the window of the car like a dog too.

Latest posts