Farm trout release

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfishin

Reaction score
My father told me the wildlife state Department in VA released some trout in the river below JW Flannagan reservoir. I went there with my nephew a couple years ago, and caught my first, and limit of, trout. Any of you guys been there? It's almost like a hidden gem off the eastern coal mine road.

Never been there. When I was in college my roommate and I watched the trout stock schedule like our life depended on it. We trout fished all over Franklin county and Henry county. Caught lots of trout.

I quit going after the farm released trout in Ohio. They are white, not pink or red inside, and taste like corn.

Ones down in the Cumberland river, where they get released and live a few months to years in the river, they taste great. But farm trout that get caught within a week or two of release just taste like the cheap feed they get.

I used to fish Meadows of Dan until age caught up, rugged stream and canoe-in access, but lots of smallish native browns in the headwater. And, I think the Smith River has finally been opened to the public as it was mostly privately owned by the furniture barons. Intend to drift that before I die.

jtf said:
I used to fish Meadows of Dan until age caught up, rugged stream and canoe-in access, but lots of smallish native browns in the headwater.

My son owns just under 1/2 mile of land containing the Dan there. His wife has a brookie mounted that was like 2# 14 oz.

Latest posts