The joys of software

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
Several months ago I dumped Windows for Linux (Mint 18.3 64 bit cinnamon) and I could not be happier. No crashes, no daily re-boots to free up memory holes, no defragging, outstanding / much improved performance on my old HP PC, and most every application I ever needed is included in the DVD or free online. Even the costly MS Office clone "Libre office" formerly Star office, open office then Libre office. is fully compatible with the MS offering AND does not crash... ever :)

Add to that the sound profiles seamlessly change over whenever a new audio out device is attached / enabled as well as my rather complex hardware mix functioning flawlessly, those folks at Mint (and the kernel developers) really nailed it with this one.

I dare say this core 2 eight gig / 1TB PC is working so well, I believe I no longer need an I3 or I7 processor with more memory resources and it just may outlast me :)

So if you have a tired system or maybe a spare hard disk, give linux mint a test drive. It may take a bit of hunting about to find the linux equivalent software that you want / need but the GUI is very friendly and enough like the MS offerings (excluding win 8-10 which are horrid) that using it will not be alien to anyone but the most timid users.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
No crashing and defragging?? LOL....are you using Windows 95?

Yeah, 95 was (after the SP updates) really solid, but once 7 came out and was "reasonably" stable (with service packs) it had support for LARGE drives, USB of all flavours, wireless, bluetooth, updated video display technology, and more RAM... they (MS) then went downhill with 8-10. Jeez, 10 looks like a 13 year old wrote the GUI.

None of that compares to Linux mint. I am delighted with it.

Latest posts