I want to buy a compass

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
overboard

I want to buy a compass

Post by overboard »

True story here Jim!
I was up at Long Pond Pa near the Pocono raceway, I knew I had to go to the corner of a field and then go NW to get through a corridor of a swamp that broke into an opening with high ground on the other side of it. It was dark and I crossed a small spring like I should and then shortly afterward I crossed more water that was never there before, but it had rained pretty hard and didn't think too much of it. Pretty soon I came to the field where I had started from, WTH I followed the compass NW and there's no way I should be back at that field!!! #-o
I was hunting with a flintlock and it seems that the way I was carrying the flintlock affected the compass, never had that happen with a regular rifle, SO, went back to the corner of the field and started over, this time I kept the flintlock well away from the compass and ended up exactly where I wanted to be on the other side of the swamp.
S*** happens! :lol:

ppine

I want to buy a compass

Post by ppine »

In forestry school we learned to make topographic maps with a staff compass, a range pole and a surveyor's chain. That was in the 1970s. What are you going to do when your batteries quit? The only people that get lost coming out to my rural property are those that rely on a GPS. We lose a few people each winter that blindly follow their GPS into remote country and get stuck.

People have navigated the world with a compass, and a clock, sometimes with charts for thousands of years. It seems like a big mistake for basic navigation skills to be lost in one generation because of the advent of electronic pathfinding.

overboard

I want to buy a compass

Post by overboard »

Excellent point ppine! Wait until Jim forgets to put the truck position in the GPS and hits the go to button and it tells him that the truck is 635mi away at the last position he entered! :lol: #-o
I still rely on a compass, the GPS is a useful aid.

Snowshoe

I want to buy a compass

Post by Snowshoe »

I've been using the same type of compass, different company, since 69. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cammenga-Off ... s/36740924

KMixson

I want to buy a compass

Post by KMixson »

It is a very useful skill to be able to navigate with a compass so when your batteries die in your GPS you do not become a statistic. I learned at a young age to even navigate at night using the stars. There are more ways to navigate than just a GPS. You can even use the winds if you know what the wind was when you started your trek in some cases. Flowing water is another indication you will find useful. Moss growth can help you also. When you add all these signs together you would be surprised to learn how accurate it can be.

earl60446

I want to buy a compass

Post by earl60446 »

I have always preferred the type below, nice for hanging around your neck, accurate and reliable and rugged. Don't break the bank either.
Earl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transparent-Mu ... %7Ciid%3A1
16ft 1989 Fisher SV-2 w 1988 48hp SPL Johnson "CIGAR BARGE"
(engine looks like a wreck but runs great)
Used to have 1972 14ft Lund w 1977 15hp Mariner
(engine looked great but always ran marginal)
XLINE SPORTSMANS CLUB