Teaching crows to pick up trash...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/french-theme-park-taught-crows-pick-trash-180969996/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08/14/2018%20Daily%20Newsletter&spMailingID=35608043&spUserID=NjAyNjk4NjM5NTMwS0&spJobID=1341526667&spReportId=MTM0MTUyNjY2NwS2

I agree, until I read that it encourages people to toss more trash so they can watch the birds pick it up. So, instead of hiring a guy to walk around with a broom/dustpan, you have to hire a bird trainer and pay them to stand around making sure guest don't purposely "feed" trash to the birds.

Would be cool if this could be expanded to help clean up our parks and waterways.

Expanded.....I agree. We've got plenty of crows and similar birds around.

However, pretty soon PETA will complain that we are making the crows too fat by providing them with food.

At least the crows would be Working for the food we provide.

Can they be taught to crap on the people that litter?

I think that would solve everyone's concerns right?

littering irritates me to no end mostly cause no matter how many times I go to ramps or accesses it never fails I find grocery bags and fill one up with various crap. There is always a never ending amount of trash on the rivers around me. Heck even little streams I wade for smallies I always finds loads of crap. We really need to curb the amount of waste we produce a whole. If birds crapping on people is what it takes I'm for it haha

All true, and we aren't going to easily change the ways of many people who must have been............... brought up in a...B A R N. Nah...a BARN is, in many places, a heck of a lot cleaner than where some of these people live.

One thing that I have noticed though, is Public Areas (parks/launches/etc. ) often have ONE garbage can. That ONE garbage can is often over-flowing and stuff is laying all around it. If the bureaucrats would put their thinking hats on for one second, and provide sufficient numbers of garbage cans for the crowds... more trash would be placed where it should be.

I agree with all of the above and think anti-littering should be taught in schools at all levels.....and serious, sharp teeth and enforcement put into the anti-littering laws.

If you really want to see trash, go to Mexico. The streets are just extensions of the garbage dumps - if they even have dedicated dumps. It gets tiresome to look at.

onthewater102 said:
Can they be taught to crap on the people that litter?

I think that would solve everyone's concerns right?

Maybe we just skip the picking up trash part and go straight to the birds crapping on or attacking the people littering? That may be some decent incentive to not litter. :D

They’ve done studies about crow intelligence and they are not bird brains!
They learn to recognize those who treat them poorly and to stay away.

Have You ever seen a White Crow. Folks say to shoot em, mount em and put it on the mantle. Local Indians, say it brings good luck to where they fly. I've seen this Guy several times, and a White Red Tail Hawk that called our Farm their home.

240401_1830142470902_5836748_o.jpg

Latest posts