Rainy days projects!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Well, since storm Fay is doing such a good job at getting FL all wet, I knew I would need a good indoor project for
when I got home from work last evening since mom had stayed home all day with the kids.

Well, I got this from Walmart for $5 and it turn-out to be a night of fun with my son, I used it as a way to teach
him how to follow instructions, the practice recognizing written numbers, identifying parts by looking at the pictures, you know the whole works about building a puzzle out of legos...

Very well recommended for those with kids in the 4-6 age range.

instructions.jpg

topView-1.jpg

finishedProject.jpg

frontView.jpg

Ages 6-7?? I still play with Legos and I'm almost 30.... then again, I use them to come up with Ideas to see if what I'm thinking about building will actually work

I played with legos till i was in my teens. Last year I dug my big box of legos from my moms attic and gave them to my son. I have tons and tons of them. You can make almost anything. Legos are great for the imagination!

Jim said:
Wait till he is 6-7 and then hits you up for one with 500 pieces. Then he walks aways after an hour :LOL2:

Now you got my blood pressure up. :LOL2:
Wait till he is 15 - 16 and hits you up for a 4000 dollar boat project....... :D

Well,

I must confess that teaching someone how to do something is not an easy task...

There is a space of magic between what you said and what the other person actually does as the end result.

You just have to have faith that what you are saying is not going to space and that actually is being capture to some level.

Then when the magic happens across the space and you start seeing magic results, they you realize, kids do listen...

I am teaching him how to catch (baseball), it is becoming very frustrating, so I am using the legos to as a training tool.

I am trying to take advantage of what he is good at already by nature talent, building things with legos is just that.

I am trying to teach him how to see, observe and follow instructions so that we can transfer that skill to other areas.

I got him one of those gloves/ball set that the ball stick to the glove.

I tell him to keep the glove open and too look at the ball, then to close the glove when the ball arrives. No luck.

Then I told him to just worry about touching the ball, too look at the ball, go after it and touch it. That helped a little.

Then I told him to get rid of the glove and just use his hands, then he started to catch the ball 1 out of 3 times.

Once we master a more reliable catch, then we will go back to learning how to use a glove.

At first I got a baseball kit, then I realize we will have to concentrate just in catching, then we had to drop the glove.

We keep breaking down the process to the bare minimum and then built up from there, not easy but I have faith.

What really surprised me was his ability to learn how to cast the fishing line, at this point I think he still has better
control over using the close face reel then I do, I am so amazed how easy he got that.

But other stuff takes a little more pushing, and becomes not so fun...

Being a dad it is not easy when we forget just to have fun and not worry so much about the trophy...

The key is to keep trying and keep having fun, never loose your calm, take a lot breaks and come back to it later...

Thanks for letting me vent....

SVNET said:
The key is to keep trying and keep having fun, never loose your calm, take a lot breaks and come back to it later...

Yup, as long as the kid wants to do it. If you keep trying something the kid doesn't want to do (like trying to teach your daughter how to play T-Ball when she didn't want to), he/she/it will resent it and never like it.

Awsome SVNET on being a father and a freind, I can tell by his eyes in that last pic he loves you very much :)

I completely understand what you vented on :wink: It goes to prove it takes alot to be a good father and that not just anybody can be a parent.

My son is 10 now but back when the T-ball year was, it was a blast, mine is the opposite-he caught on the cacth and throw, also hitting the ball too, but his running skill was Hilarious(so he can't read this part) the boy looked like he was runnen both ways :lol:

Whats cool as a daddy is the older they get the toys get cooler, just recently I gootem the AIR HOGS 8) that was FUN, I got the kind where you can shoot one another down :D

Cool stuff

Latest posts