Pickling hot peppers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
My GF and I found a large supply of red (colored) hot cherry peppers and we tried pickling them with mixed results. There are so many recipes out there with wildly variable ingredients and processes I thought I'd ask if any of you have a decent recipe for pickling hot cherry peppers. Nearby barrel pickle places sell them for ~(.50 a quart, and the peppers are softish, and have all of the seeds still intact on the attached stem. These are the types we are trying to duplicate.

Here's what we tried with mixed results:

For 2 lbs of red cherry peppers(I don't care for green ones)

1 whole small to medium garlic peeled and diced
3/4 teaspoon Peppercorns
4 cups White wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
3 tsp of sugar
3 bay leaves
2-3 tsp of salt
3/4 tsp powdered mustard seed

We cleaned and speared the peppers to allow the brine in, and cooked the whole peppers in the brine until the peppers started to soften, then put them in canning jars.

Online some recipes call for NO cooking the peppers in the brine and using 100% vinegar, no water, bayleaf, or sugar and I don't know what to add or leave in.

I'd say compared to the barrel pickle places we're about 80% of the way there, but ours were VERY hot (A good thing) and a bit firmer, but not as flavorful as the barrel guys.

Latest posts