Persimmons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I planted persimmon trees a couple of years ago. Mrs Ldubs wanted the two trees she saw at the nursery. I says we only have room for one. So the nursery guy says plant them in the same hole, which is just what I did. One is a Fuyu and the other is a Giant Fuyu. Two trunks coming out of the ground about 6" apart. Both are fast growers. This is the variety that doesn't require ripening off the tree and is kind of crunchy like an apple. Other than they taste pretty good (especially in salads) that is the extent of my persimmon knowledge.

Anyway, this is my first big persimmon harvest -- Just about five 5-gallon buckets worth in total. Fortunately a lot of folks want them.

Persimmon.jpg

BTW, I need to thank my neighbor's cat "Spooky". Spooky spent many days patrolling my fence and keeping the squirrels away from my fruit trees.

It's kind of ironic you posting this. I just saw my first persimmon tree this last weekend. I'll have to look up what people do with them and how they're used. I'd never seen them before.

I'm not an expert and only have these because my wife remembered persimmons from her childhood and wanted the trees. As usual, I think she made a good decision. haha.

I have learned there are two general kinds of persimmons and they almost sound like completely different fruit. The kind I have is called Fuyu. It is shaped like a tomato, can be eaten right off the tree and is kind of crunchy like an apple. The other kind is called Hachiya. It has a more pointed shape. At harvesting the taste is said to be very astringent. It must set and fully ripen at which point it becomes a soft gooey fruit with a sweet taste. There are other varieties, but I think they fall into one of these two camps.

Anyway, I've never tasted the Hachiya kind. I like the Fuyu's. They taste better than I had anticipated. Excellent when eaten like an apple or chopped up and added to a green salad. Taste is something like between an apple & crunchy pear. Sweet but not overwhelming.

Back in Summer I harvested some asian pears. Didn't have many on my young tree but they are another great fruit that is kind of pricey in stores.

I have 2 persimmon trees both specifically bred (tree freaks call it "selected") for south Florida. Persimmon is one of my fave fruits. I let mine ripen on the tree, it makes a difference.

Look up persimmon tree trimming. If they are not trimmed correctly and at the right time of the year, you can have alternate year bearing or very sparse fruit set.