The difference between All-Wheel drive & 4 Wheel drive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
You probably knew this, but I didn't.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24663372/all-wheel-drive-four-wheel-drive-differences-explained/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=100118

richg99

I knew there was a difference but didn't know what it was. Some time back my wife had a BMW X3 with all wheel drive. It was a nice driving car but a nightmare to maintain. At 5 years and 45K miles they said it needed a new transfer case ($$$$$$$). I picked it up at the BMW shop. Drove it to Honda. Explained the issue and still got a decent trade-in. Mrs Ldubs still drives the Honda CRV, which has been a fantastic car now for 7 years. Still looks like a new car.

Seems to me that way back when the forest rangers were driving 2WD dodge trucks. Probably with a 6 cyl.

Edit: Huh, I guess this really has nothing to do with this thread. My mind must be wandering again. Haha

You will look good in that new Ford Rapture Rich. Let us know what color you get....

No Fords/Chevys/Rams for this old guy. I spent 50 years buying US vehicles. My last one was a brand new Ford Expedition. Never again.

Toyota or Honda for my last vehicles.

My Nissan Titan was put together in Mississippi. Some parts from Japan but engine was made in Tennessee. I have to say that in 12 years I've not had any issues other than a recall about an electric fan that sits in front of the radiator. 9,200# towing capacity. Gas mileage sucks.

I had an Expedition before the Titan. It was OK, but not without some issues that I could have done without.

Yeah, I might also consider a Nissan, too.

Happens that we toured the Tennessee Nissan plant this Summer. Quite an impressive deal. They cranked out 2500 cars a DAY from the facility that we were in!

richg99 said:
No Fords/Chevys/Rams for this old guy. I spent 50 years buying US vehicles. My last one was a brand new Ford Expedition. Never again.

Toyota or Honda for my last vehicles.

And I'll never buy from anyone BUT American Companies.....Yeah, I know the spiel, they're full of crap import parts too.
But ~ 650k on three trouble-free Silverados since '84, I'll wave my flag. Just seems patriotic to support the US worker AND the US company.

Oh, I did my US supporting for the first 50 years of car buying.

Incidentally...It seems that I saw, a few years ago, a listing of what percentage of cars/trucks were built with parts from the US. If I remember correctly, Toyota had a higher percentage of U.S. parts than either GM or Ford. I'm not sure that we can tell anymore.

I know those thousands of workers at the TN Nissan plant didn't commute from Japan.

I think he was just joking that you might be going into too difficult places, and, therefore, getting stuck.

I've actually read that the bigger, higher, and wider your vehicle, the more you "test" it.

Ha Ha

LDUBS said:
My Nissan was made in the USA. Toyota Tundra is made in Texas. Tacomas in Mexico and California. Honda Ridgeline is made in Alabama. Crew cab Silverados are made in Mexico.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/05/coming-home-silverado-1500-production-heads-flint/

It looks like Mexico couldn’t handle the demand.

After sending some of the production of its light-duty trucks south of the border in 2013, General Motors will soon begin assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab in Flint, Michigan, according to MLive.

Crew cab production at GM’s oldest plant starts in 2017, with existing workers able to pick up lucrative Saturday shifts. Temporary workers will be brought on to bolster existing employees.

Why the move back home? It came down to buyers wanting an American-built truck, said UAW Local 598 Shop Chairman Eric Welter, and because GM’s Silao, Mexico plant couldn’t crank them out fast enough.

“This was just a need to satisfy their customers,” he told MLive. “We’re having a hard time getting the four-door.”

Flint Assembly already produces heavy-duty versions of the Silverado and GMC Sierra, but a 2009 investment gave the plant the capability of producing a light-duty truck. In total, the plant has seen about $1.5 billion in upgrades over the past three years, including a new body and paint shop — part of GM’s $5.4 billion country-wide investment plan.

GM’s Fort Wayne assembly plant in Indiana handles the remaining light-duty production.

Since the depths of the recession in 2009, Silverado sales have nearly doubled. Sales of all variants passed the 600,000 mark in the U.S. last year.

New River Rat said:
LDUBS said:
My Nissan was made in the USA. Toyota Tundra is made in Texas. Tacomas in Mexico and California. Honda Ridgeline is made in Alabama. Crew cab Silverados are made in Mexico.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/05/coming-home-silverado-1500-production-heads-flint/

After sending some of the production of its light-duty trucks south of the border in 2013, General Motors will soon begin assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab in Flint, Michigan, according to MLive.

Crew cab production at GM’s oldest plant starts in 2017, with existing workers able to pick up lucrative Saturday shifts. Temporary workers will be brought on to bolster existing employees.

Why the move back home? It came down to buyers wanting an American-built truck, said UAW Local 598 Shop Chairman Eric Welter, and because GM’s Silao, Mexico plant couldn’t crank them out fast enough.

“This was just a need to satisfy their customers,” he told MLive. “We’re having a hard time getting the four-door.”

Flint Assembly already produces heavy-duty versions of the Silverado and GMC Sierra, but a 2009 investment gave the plant the capability of producing a light-duty truck. In total, the plant has seen about $1.5 billion in upgrades over the past three years, including a new body and paint shop — part of GM’s $5.4 billion country-wide investment plan.

GM’s Fort Wayne assembly plant in Indiana handles the remaining light-duty production.

Since the depths of the recession in 2009, Silverado sales have nearly doubled. Sales of all variants passed the 600,000 mark in the U.S. last year.

That's great and we need to see much more of our manufacturing base for many products that have been sent offshore over the last 3-4 decades come back and be American made and provide decent paying American jobs again.

Back in the 60's and 70's a person could finish high school and get a decent manufacturing job that paid enough to comfortably buy a house and raise a family and have no need to go to college and pile on tons of student loan debt. The sad part is today many of those piling on all that college debt are not making even the equivalent amount of money these working the manufacturing jobs did back then and they had 0 college debt and started work earning a living 4 years earlier in their lives.

New River Rat said:
LDUBS said:

That is fantastic. Seems to be some conflicting news out there as I'm reading Mexico is still making a lot of GM Trucks. Anyway, I hope you are correct.

Things are not always as clean cut as they seem and plenty of foreign cars are produced by American workers.

My Chevy 2x4 Silverado was made in Canada. I bought it with 40k miles on it as a pristine garaged super babied nearly showroom condition vehicle. It has been falling apart since I got it... It's too bad, because I love driving it.

I've had Toyota and Nissan trucks that went forever for a dozen years or more with hundreds of thousands of miles on them with only basic maintenance of brakes, tires, and batteries for the life of the truck without one single issue like I'm experiencing with this... my first and last U.S. designed vehicle.

It isn't that we don't WANT to buy US vehicles, it is simply, at least for me, that the foreign competition is so much more reliable.

The Fords and Chevy's still don't get it, IMHO.

richg99 said:
It isn't that we don't WANT to buy US vehicles, it is simply, at least for me, that the foreign competition is so much more reliable.

The Fords and Chevy's still don't get it, IMHO.

Hope RAM gets it cause I just bought one with a V6 diesel. :shock:

Latest posts