how to launch a boat without a ramp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim said:
:shock: Are you serious? I wonder what happens when its time to put it on?

Same thing I was wondering! I wonder if the tractor driver was gettin' a little worried with the waves breaking around him!?

Remember guys: After a nice relaxing day at the beach...................................be sure and hose the salt water off of the tractor when you get home! lol

Most people see a tractor launching a boat. I myself, being a truck/tractor mechanic see leaking wheel seals and gaskets, loose oil fill plugs in the rearend/gearbox, contaminated gear/hydraulic oil, corrosion in the brake and drive assemblies, and a list of other things. It hurts.

What's the difference in that & launching your boat from the ramp, I don't see much? He can load the boat the same way he unloaded.......and from the looks of the JD, I'd seriously doubt it was oozing fluids from every orifice :wink:

ST

SlimeTime said:
What's the difference in that & launching your boat from the ramp, I don't see much? He can load the boat the same way he unloaded.......and from the looks of the JD, I'd seriously doubt it was oozing fluids from every orifice :wink:

ST

:LOL2:

Did you watch the same video?

I am not worried about oil getting out as much as salt water getting in. some gearboxes and differentials have breather vents on top of them. Once the water gets that high it is going in.
Brake assemblies are not sealed. Even with seals, salt water and sand is hard on them. Being in the surf like that the sand is being stirred up with the waves and the tractor.

:roll: Go out right now & crawl under your trucks.....see the fitting coming-off the top of the axle housing with a rubber hose? Atop that hose is a check-valve, which allows pressure to vent out, but not to get in.

What's the diff with surf breaking loading or unloading? If you watch, the driver waited & timed the incoming surf......LMAO, did you guys watch the same video :twisted:

Any of you all ever go 4-wheeling? After a day of running the mud, and creeks, you went home, pulled the wheels, and hosed all the mud out of everything, as well as changed fluids......just part of it.

Geez.....live alittle :wink:

ST

SlimeTime said:
:roll: Go out right now & crawl under your trucks.....see the fitting coming-off the top of the axle housing with a rubber hose? Atop that hose is a check-valve, which allows pressure to vent out, but not to get in.

In a perfect world that check valve will always work. Plugs will always be tight. Seals will never fail. Gaskets will never leak. But, It ain't gonna happen!

I am sorry if I sound harsh. But I see more broken vehicles than most people do. They don't bring them to me until it is broken. They don't bring me very many vehicles that have nothing wrong telling me to fix it. I am a firm believer in taking care of your equipment. For example, when I change my oil, I also change my brake fluid including flushing the system.

I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but if you pause the video just before the end, when the boat is broadside to the camera, you will notice the lettering..... "Alaska Game Fishing". If the video was indeed shot in Alaska, that may be the only way to launch and haul a boat in that location. The nearest "launch facility" might be a day or two drive from there, if not further.

Alaska is America's last frontier and the folks who live there have to be creative, independent and self reliant just to get by. I'd guess by the way the tractor driver timed the waves and used the boat as a wave break that it wasn't the first time he'd done that. =D>

..."Alaska Game Fishing"...

Noticed that also, and you make a very good point of having to launch that way. For curiosity's sake though, I'd sure like to see them recovering it! :)

Timing the waves is one thing..................having the huge gonads to do that is another, lol . Count me out! lol :shock:

Latest posts