Need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacrain1993

Reaction score
I have a 1972 meyers 14. I have it stored in a garage in a box. Would I be able to suspend from the poles or would it be to much weight? It has been gutted no motor and no floor or seats any help would be appreciated

One 14 ft boat (Lund) that I looked up weighed just below 300 lbs. I wouldn't hang that much weight off of my garage rafters.

I might double up the rafters and then consider it.

I used to pull 8 cylinder engines in my garage using the truss / rafter joist and a chain hoist, BUT I used a 4x4 laid across a few of the joists to distribute the weight and I connected the hoist to the 4x4.

I see no reason you cannot hang a boat from the ceiling using common sense distributing the weight in a similar manner.

If you think about it a 200 lb. man can easily be supported on a single joist in the attic no? It only follows that a 400 +/- pound boat suspended fore and aft across several joists should not be any problem. Unless there is something already seriously wrong with the rafter / trusses.

for a 12' jon i had years ago i used a bicycle/kayak" hoist. pull my truck into the garage, hook the hooks on it hoist it up. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/cargoloc-garage-hoist-15cgcugrghstxxxxxpas/15cgcugrghstxxxxxpas?camp=CSE:DSG_pg1052513885_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkdhjG0JlNsJcxg5arZbcQOasWt6pXoPAduhmW4lkReV-yA46iE0GTxoCScwQAvD_BwE

worked great. yes, i know it says 100#, but i tried it out and it was fine.

I have lifted the stern of my boat from the 'ties' (horizontal 2x4's) in my garage, but I kicked in vertical supports (floor to ties) right next to the boat. That way the weight wasn't bending the 2x4's very much. They are under tension from keeping the walls from spreading.

Guys, a garage in a box is not a garage, it's a portable shelter with a tarp as a roof made barely strong enough to support the wind and dead load of the poor quality metal tubing structure. https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/garage-in-a-box

I would personally make a support structure independent of the garage in a box. There is no way you can hang a boat off the structure of one of these things.

Latest posts