Any VR (Virtual Reality) guys on here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've been reading about some museum and other VR "tapes"??? that are free and easily available. Thought I'd look into buying an inexpensive <$100.00 unit and put my Google Pixel 1 phone into it.

A number of years ago, when Google came out with the cardboard box device, I tried it. All I could see, with or without my glasses, were a bunch of blurs.

Today, I went to Best Buy to see if I could Demo one. They had a Google Daydream for $70.00. Of course, the demo version wasn't really set up to demo. You needed two apps put on my phone. I did that, right in the store. Then I had to turn on BlueTooth which I did. Still, you needed to press a button on the controller, that came with the Google device, but the store hadn't hooked up the Controller and didn't know where it was. So much for a demo.

Anyhow, I did put my phone into the device and looked through the eyepieces. Again, all that I saw was a double image of the writing on the page. I headed home.

On the way, though, I wondered if when one looks through a VR device, and the VR isn't playing anything, do you always just get the double image? Do you wear your glasses when you use these things? Does anyone have one and who thinks it is worth $70.00?

Any input or help appreciated.

Rich, a while back I tried on my nephew's VR headset and it knocked my socks off. It might have been an Oculus brand. I know he was using a Samsung phone.

The imagery was incredible. I went through a demo and it felt like I was right in the middle of the scenery. Turn your head and it was just like scanning in the real world. I also did part of a maze game which was very entertaining. Watching someone else was fun too because they would be constantly reaching out to grab some nonexistent thing. Best use them while sitting down unless you want to fall.

Personally, I am kind of not wanting to explore this any further as I can see how it could become addictive (I already spend enough time here on TB :D ).

Edit -- I think I wore my glasses but can't remember. I don't recall any issue with double images. I suspect that with this technology, because it is new and probably still evolving, you don't want to go with less expensive options.

Nice to know that boaters are on the cutting edge of technology. Ha Ha.

I asked this same question on 3 boating groups and yours is the closest answer to anyone having or using a VR. Guess I'll put that thought on the back burner for a while!

Thank you!

Besides the obvious entertainment value, I can't help but wonder that there might be a potential therapeutic use for folks suffering from spinal or brain injuries or illnesses.

Latest posts