New rule re cut off switches < 26 ft.???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.com/baybulletin/2018/12/10/congress-passes-new-engine-cutoff-switch-requirement?fbclid=IwAR0huzCdhTCWZC5_1uYMSsu1HOaopM9KJWtNmoJQxjtTKz8UHCrtvTF3GpM

Boats have had cutoff switches for decades now. Not sure why this new news??!!!

Not trying to be argumentative but every single 'package' boat purchased in the USA whether a tiller or console has had a deadman cut off switch since before I can remember. This is fact, not opinion. If you buy a hull and install or have installed an outboard, it will have a dead man cutoff switch. Period. End of story. It may be so called voluntary but every manufacturer or dealer does this already now. Heck a 2.5 HP portable Tohatsu comes with a deadman switch. The 100 mph Allison bass boat comes with a dead man switch. An inboard Cobalt ski boat comes with a dead man switch. The 25 HP Yamaha tiller that you are bolting to the transom of your duck boat comes with a dead man switch. I know of NO manufacturer or dealer who does not do this as standard equipment now. So yet another unnecessary law.

JNG said:
It may be so called voluntary but every manufacturer or dealer does this already now.
Yup ... as mandated by THEIR lawyers ...

So don't get your panties in a bunch and argue with me :lol: . YOU asked ?why? and you were told. Blame your politicians for codifying a law that's already being practiced ...

I'd guess that...if it wasn't a formal law, and some backwoods manufacturer didn't add one to their boat....

and there was an accident, the manufacturer could avoid liability because....
......IT WASN'T A LAW.

Oh my panties are all wadded up. Waaaayyyyyyy past bunched! Just not at you. I'm just tired of the morons, that more morons elected, wasting everyone's time and TAX money passing unnecessary laws and avoiding what really needs done. This is a perfect example of this. Everyone's already doing this but we gotta pass more of them there laws so we can all feel good and sing kumbaya. But we are not supposed to be political on this forum so I'll let it go at that.

To Richg99, the ABYC if I remember correctly basically mandates that deadman switches are installed on watercraft. This new law will have no effect on any of us. So I guess that's the bright side of all of this.

Long ago there was a TV show presented by John Stossel on potential "new" product developments where the audience got to vote yes or no on whether a product should be made.

The actual device / invention was not described, only where and how it would be used and what benefit(s) it would have to humanity but... they also listed the potential danger (with some statistics) of injury and slim chance for death if the idea / invention was used.

Invariably the audience soundly rejected the invention as being too dangerous and unsafe to be allowed to be brought to market.

At the end of the show, Mr. Stossel revealed the inventions among them were...

Electricity, automobiles and airplanes.

He then admonished the audience for essentially being wussies who if history were left to them society would still be left in the dark ages. It was BRILLIANT!