Sports Fishing License

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I renewed my fishing license for 2019. $65.63 total. That includes 49.94 for the 2019 license and $15.69 for a second rod validation. In the old days seems we had to add a trout/salmon stamp. Now a few species (steelhead, sturgeon, salmon only in certain areas) require an additional 7 or 8 bucks for a report card. I don't need those for places I fish.

In California the license is good 1/1 through 12/31. There is no prorating which is kind of unfair to folks who want to buy a license in the spring, summer or fall. At one point there was talk of changing to a more sensible 12 month license, but that got dropped by the powers that be.

Compared to what I spend on the boat and gear in a year this isn't a big deal. And, the funds are supposed to be used to support recreational fishing, which is a good thing. I just hope "they" don't try to steal the funds again for other uses. [-X

In Florida, those of us residents who have attained a certain age (65) are not required to have a hunting or fishing license, just ID show age(driver's license will do).

John

Rumblejohn said:
In Florida, those of us residents who have attained a certain age (65) are not required to have a hunting or fishing license, just ID show age(driver's license will do).

John

Yup, and I'm finding we may be the only state that does.

Here in Ontario I think I pay around $32 Canadian for a year. No extra fees for different species or extra rods. The money is supposed to go back into the fisheries.

I hate to even think what I pay each year :p

I have a PA Freshwater (I buy the 5 year)

Maryland / Virginia Bay Sport (SW)

Va OSV permit for Assateague Island

NJ is free for SW - but you have to register (about the only thing that state does not charge for YET)

NJ OSV Permit(s) - to drive on the beach

NY is Free for SW - but you have to register

NY OSV Permits

Mass. (SW)

Marthas Vineyard OSV permit(s)

Some Years a a few more if I decide to do a trip LOL

I think my Iowa fishing license was $18 for a calendar year. Trout stamp is extra, but the trout fishing areas are mostly in extreme NE Iowa, so I don't get there too often.
We are allowed two lines in the water, no extra charge.
Sounding like I've got it good, compared to some of you.

Roger

Texas $24.00 for Resident Seniors all water FW and Salt and FW trout that are too far away to bother with. $99.00 Tennessee non-resident, FW and trout.

Not too bad for the enjoyment that I get from fishing in those two States.

When I took my quick trip to Michigan, it was something like $11.00 per day for non-resident, but also something like $16.00 to LAUNCH each day. That launch fee seemed outrageous to me.

They know how to milk the visitors in every State, it seems.

richg99 said:
Texas $24.00 for Resident Seniors all water FW and Salt and FW trout that are too far away to bother with. $99.00 Tennessee non-resident, FW and trout.

Not too bad for the enjoyment that I get from fishing in those two States.

When I took my quick trip to Michigan, it was something like $11.00 per day for non-resident, but also something like $16.00 to LAUNCH each day. That launch fee seemed outrageous to me.

They know how to milk the visitors in every State, it seems.

One of the lakes I frequent has a very nice improved ramp that is free, but I have to pay a $15 bridge toll to get there (they charge an extra $10 for the third axle, meaning my little boat trailer).

The other lake doesn't have a bridge toll en route, but I have to pay a total of $23 "retail" for parking, launching the boat and fishing permit. Of that about $6 goes towards stocking the lake. If I opt for the annual pass, which I will, I get a senior discount that cuts that into about half.

Definitely not as cheap as bowling, but that is the way it is.

PS: Capt Ahab -- Don't add it up. You don't want to know. haha

richg99 said:
Yea, I often choose to use a toll road ( or a number of toll roads) to get to my fishing destinations. Each one charges DOUBLE tolls for my third axle. Yikes!

Yeah Rich, I think they should give us "age advantaged" folks pulling a boat a discount. Not like we are pulling a 20,000 lb commercial trailer. Haha

gnappi said:
Rumblejohn said:

John

Yup, and I'm finding we may be the only state that does.

Missouri has free fishing permits for kids and senior citizens. Still gotta pay for hunting though.

Even then the annual license is only like 13 bucks. We also have the system where they all expire at the same time, and that month is the only time I ever get checked for permits.

Everything is cheap here, but so are wages.

Latest posts