Getting in shape?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
So i'm tired of "round" being my shape. :lol: I know there was a section for this stuff awhile back? So I figure some of you guys know about exercising and such. I'm just wondering what you guys do as far as getting and/or keeping in shape? My biggest problem is I hate doing stuff by myself, so how do you guys get motivated to just get up and do it? I know i'm overweight, but don't think i'm completely out of shape......running, forget it....but as far as getting out and doing things, I don't have a problem....its just a matter of exercising by myself.....I get bored, lol. So i'm curious what you guys do? Any suggestions would be great.

I lifted weights for years, and it may have been the only thing that saved my life. Find a place to set-up a small home gym, it'll see more use & be cheaper than joining some place you'll pay dues, fuel costs to get there, and it can be intimidating to work-out next to a meathead.

Use free-weights, not machines because it'll work more (compound) muscle groups. Start-out with a simple program using lighter weights, be more concerned with form, and getting into the routine of working-out for the 1st month or so. Keep a log with sets/reps/ poundage & try to increase something alittle each week....a couple pounds or a few more reps.

Learn the nutritional values of foods, and cut-out the junk (and pop), I used to allow myself 2 crappy meals a week (or deserts). I was in my 40's weighed 215, and had 11% bodyfat. lol, I'd hate to have a body composition done & see what it is now :shock:

Oh.....stay away from the "body-builder" mags....they're purpose is to make you think if you buy the crap their sponsors sell, you'll look like the guys in the pics. Look at the guys in prison, some of them get into pretty good shape with no supplements & less than optimal nutrition. Don't fall for the "20 minute workout 3X a week" BS either, sure it's better than nothing, but you need atleast an hour 3X a week.

Whatever you do, don't give-up. Don't count on having friends to help motivate you. Several of mine joined me, for a short period & quit....but I kept working-out myself. You'll be sore for a while, but it gets better, and you actually learn to like it.

ST

Thanks Slime.

I think my biggest problem is that I just need more activity(cardio type stuff) because I got a desk job....I sit in the office all day...which I kinda don't like. But I just don't get enough physical activity....which is why I mentioned walking or something like that.

If you have a dog, walk it. If not, walk yourself.

I agree with ST, do the home gym thing, it is more convenient and accesible than any gym you can go to. Always keep a record of what you have done so you can see your progress, it helps with motivation. I signed up for a free account on fitday dot com and it tracks everything you eat as well as your activity. just started it Friday and so far so good. It tells you how many calories you have eaten and what you can eat to still hit your goal weight.

Also if you get a lunch break, go for a walk instead of sitting in the lunch room or at a restaurant. I have also found that parking farther away increases your walking every day by a little bit.

Hope that helps. I'm in the same boat as you and know how you feel. I have found that once I am actually working out I enjoy it. It is the getting out of bed early in the morning that is the hard part.

Im starting boxing in two weeks. My son is in karate and some of the other fathers have invited me to a boxing club. Its alot of jump rope and pushups and situps along with other stuff and the boxing. If that dosnt knock the weight of me I dont know what will. I am aiming to loose about 50lbs myself.

Maybe some of you guys could start a thread, post your results weekly....maybe get some encouragement, motivation & accountability from other members here?

Walking is definately good, so is bicycling. Much easier on the joints than running (on asphalt/concrete).

Then there's getting out fishing, reeling in 10 pound bass & 40 pound cats all day/night is a good work-out....not to mention a pretty good cardio work-out :p

ST

You might want to check your diet or the beverages you drink, I was told if its white stay away from it, instead of white rice use brown rice, white bread use wheat bread, postas use wheat postas, drink diet sodas or water, cut out or reduce the consumption of thee old brown bottle, maybe purchase a tredmill with the different inclines.

shamoo said:
maybe purchase a tredmill with the different inclines.

yeah, I got one of those and a total gym 1500 as well as a heavy bag in the basement along with a jump rope. I try to use 2 of the 4 each night and rotate so its not so boring or over work one part to much. It only takes me around 20 min., but the hardest part is heading down the dreaded basement steps.

My first step was to get a scale. First time in 10 years we have had one in the house. Now that is some motivation. Plus backpacking season is closeing in again. My problem is that being an auto tech, Im on the run all day,lifting, squating, pushing and pulling, and all in a 90-105 deg shop(during the summer). When I get home, Im ready to hold down the couch. I have dropped the junk food for more fruits, walking 1/2 to1 hour on a "Gazell" every night. When it cools off a bit Ill walk out side more. I started rideing my bick again but it broke, 20 yr old junk. I just dont have the money to invest in stuff that I will use for the first couple months and then its a dust collecter.

Thanks for the tips guys. Like natetrack mentioned, Once I get to doing something, I enjoy it.....its just a matter of setting my mind to do it. I just hate doing things by myself, but if I were doing something with friends, I could go all day...riding bike trails, hiking, whatever. I get burnt out when doing anything inside at home(weights, treadmill, etc). I'm just gonna have to make myself start getting out every evening I get a chance and making myself walk one of the local walking tracks.

Jim said:
Bubba,
Im the same way...I cant even go to the mall by myself. :LOL2:

I like being around people.

Yup, Same here. I hate going anywhere by myself.....If i'm doing something, I like to be with people. Need to do some looking around and see if I can't find anyone that walks/rides on a regular basis.

A few years ago, I signed up at a local gym with a trainer. With him there, I went every single day, no problems going....I had someone to talk to while I worked out, but as soon as I started doing it by myself, I quit going not long after. #-o

I play golf when im not fishing or working.. I walk the course as much as i can. And the way i hit the ball i get plenty of walking.

geemyrick said:
I play golf when im not fishing or working.. I walk the course as much as i can. And the way i hit the ball i get plenty of walking.

The way I hit the ball, I'd also get plenty of exercise - but, sadly (or happily) I never walk - always use a cart :p

Forget the scale, look in the mirror. Muscle weighs more than fat. At 6'3", 215 pounds & 11% bodyfat, according to the height/weight guidelines, I was more than 20 pounds "overweight".

ST

Latest posts