Stick'um test. JB Weld; Gorilla; Flex; and Loctite

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without even seeing the test, of the four adhesives the epoxy (JB weld) would be the only one I would consider suitable for structural use. What surprised me was how well Loctite did. Those end-to-end glue ups were tough tests.

i ran across this video a while back. the results were predictable.i'd like to see jb and something like liquid nails go head to head.or better yet,hilti hit.

I'm going to be a downer here. I actually don't think this is anywhere neat a valid test and really should not be taken too seriously. No one would seriously consider a glue joint for the kind of joins used in these tests. It isn't right to evaluate something based on it being used in a way it should not be used. For example, these glues would never be intended to be used for an end grain butt joint on two pieces of 2x4. Problem is conducting a valid test of real glue joints would be expensive and require equipment not available in most guy's garages.

All I can tell you is that I ran a motorcycle about 40k miles after I dumped it and ground a 1/4 inch hole in the stator cover. I patched it up using JB Weld and it held oil for about 10 years.

I once had an OMC 28hp ‘SPL’ OB motor where the starter was held on by 3 attachment points off the powerhead, 2 towards the front & 1 point to the side. That side location was a nub or tab as an extension off the block and it broke off (casting seemed porous, like looking at a Nestles Crunch candybar). The 2 existing front bolts were not strong enough to hold the starter due to the torque, as it would pivot away from the flywheel.

Fearing nothing to lose, I cleaned the block area well with naptha and put a big blob of Marinetex in place and let it cure well. Sure enough, just like the Marinetex container said, I drilled & tapped the blob to hold the 3rd mounting bolt. Worked like a charm! Sold that boat a few years later and ~10-years later ran into the boat/motor and its latest new owner at a launch ramp and son of a gun ... that blob was still there holding up its end of the starter!

Latest posts