Zebra striped shirts to keep flies and mosquitoes off???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Strange, but it seems to work with flies. Wonder if it would work on mosquitoes? Any Sports Referees out there who would like to test the waters????

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a26520671/scientists-dressed-horses-as-zebras-to-learn-what-stripes-are-for/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=022619&src=nl&utm_campaign=16124392

I always look to see who paid for these "unique" studies. In this case it was the Univ of California, Davis (my old alma mater).

If insect bites transfer disease, I guess there could be a practical use. Or, zebra striped wood frame construction to confuse termites? Or, maybe striped coats for dogs to keep the fleas off. :shock:

"I guess there could be a practical use"

Assuming, for the sake of argument...that the stripes would work on mosquitoes....what a concept!

If you've ever fished in Northern Minnesota; Wisconsin and/or the salt flats of Texas...you'd pay big bucks for something to keep them critters off.

I may have to buy a referee shirt and try it. Ha Ha

My new fishing shirt! :LOL2:

_mg_0442_1.jpg

I don't know if it will keep mosquitoes away, it would definitely make you the life of the party on Miami beach, but they for certain will keep my GF away :)

I read a CNN bit and it claimed darker skinned people get bit less. I'm a dark tanned / olive skinned Italian and I never get bitten. OTOH, my son who is several shades lighter is like a magnet.

gnappi said:
I don't know if it will keep mosquitoes away, it would definitely make you the life of the party on Miami beach, but they for certain will keep my GF away :)

I read a CNN bit and it claimed darker skinned people get bit less. I'm a dark tanned / olive skinned Italian and I never get bitten. OTOH, my son who is several shades lighter is like a magnet.

I attract mosquitoes like no other.

I hate mosquitos and ticks I seem to be a magnet for them as well go figure I'm O+. Louisiana is terrible for mosquitos as well, I vividly remember on a trip in recent years there having gale force wind and rain pull a tent stake out of the ground causing a side of my tent to blow over. I rush out in my underwear to stake it back in while it's raining sideways and the devil bugs were still able bite me in what seemed like a hurricane storm. Here soon it will be mushroom hunting time and I always manage to pull off loads of ticks.

Latest posts