Quiet at home

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
richg99

Quiet at home

Post by richg99 »

Rog...nope, just normal.

We are all P@#@$% off at the lack of control our government agencies have over the companies that screw with us. From phone calls to junk mail, they just let the nonsense go on.

Bah Humbug.
DO YOUR PART, STAY APART!

LDUBS

Quiet at home

Post by LDUBS »

GTS225 wrote:It's probably a good thing that I haven't won the lottery. I'd waste about half of it suing phone service providers for being party to this type of nuisance. It's their technology that allows numbers to be spoofed, and I'm quite sure they know how to prevent it, but then they'd lose out on the income. If I could win, then I'd go after the telemarketers themselves, for a royalty for each call dialed. Make them pay, even if only a penny, for every time they bothered me, and that business would come to a screeching halt.
I'd also go after credit card companies for all the unsolicited "pre-approved" card offers that I have to run through a shredder. Sue them for the cost of a shredder, and they'd stop sending out all the paperwork.

GOD, but I'm turning into a grumpy SOB.

Roger

In Great Britain they used to have these premium rate phone numbers that made a small charge to the caller. The charge, something like 15 cents, was split between the phone company and the business setting up the number. They were used primarily by customer service operations in an attempt to recoup some of the support cost. I probably don't have the exact details, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I read about this guy in the UK who managed to get one of those numbers installed in his home. He then posted the number around. Result was all the telemarketing calls were getting charged for dialing him up and he even made a few quid. He reserve his normal number for family & friends. Needless to say his nuisance call volume dropped pretty quickly. Not sure how long he was able to do this but at least this guy got some poetic justice.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gnappi

Quiet at home

Post by gnappi »

GTS225 wrote:>>SNIP<<GOD, but I'm turning into a grumpy SOB.

Roger
Same here... There's an old saying (paraphrased) "The older you get the more butholes you meet".

My grandfather found that to be true, so did my dad, I guess it's my turn :-)
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

LDUBS

Quiet at home

Post by LDUBS »

Norman Thayer. My hero right after Grandpa Gustafson.
Have Rod - Will Fish

FormerParatrooper

Quiet at home

Post by FormerParatrooper »

I normally hit block caller on my cell phone, and I have looked at the list of blocked calls after a few months and many are in blocks of the same area code and prefix.

When I am not working, and am bored, I will answer one and listen to the spiel and ask questions completely unrelated to what they are trying to sell or to get money for. I asked about walleyes lures, getting lots of blood out of carpet ( I heard a comedic routine where a carpet cleaning company called and the comedian asked that ) and asked where to find the alternator on 1999 Ford Taurus.

These calls are not going away, no matter what legislation is passed, they will find a way around them or just ignore them. But once my cousins estate is settled in Nigeria and I can send them $1000 USD, I will be getting 50 million, so I will buy a lake for just Tinboats people to use.
1979 MirroCraft F4604
1967 Johnson MQ13 9.5 Hp
1974 Evinrude 25452M 25 Hp

Life member of the LGOPPs

KMixson

Quiet at home

Post by KMixson »

FormerParatrooper wrote:I normally hit block caller on my cell phone, and I have looked at the list of blocked calls after a few months and many are in blocks of the same area code and prefix.

When I am not working, and am bored, I will answer one and listen to the spiel and ask questions completely unrelated to what they are trying to sell or to get money for. I asked about walleyes lures, getting lots of blood out of carpet ( I heard a comedic routine where a carpet cleaning company called and the comedian asked that ) and asked where to find the alternator on 1999 Ford Taurus.
If you do that enough they will put you on their "Do Not Call List". That is what they did to me apparently. I have not had a spam call in months.

gnappi

Quiet at home

Post by gnappi »

KMixson wrote:
FormerParatrooper wrote:I normally hit block caller on my cell phone, and I have looked at the list of blocked calls after a few months and many are in blocks of the same area code and prefix.

If you do that enough they will put you on their "Do Not Call List". That is what they did to me apparently. I have not had a spam call in months.

Boy I wish that were the case for the marketers I did that with. It made some of them vengeful and they called even more.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

KMixson

Quiet at home

Post by KMixson »

When you start upsetting them be prepared for their hostilities. They have threatened my life, my family members lives, threatened to have me arrested, threatened to burn down my house, called my mother names and more. They have been so upset with me they have been screaming at me through the phone. I could feel the vein their forehead throbbing over the phone.

FormerParatrooper

Quiet at home

Post by FormerParatrooper »

KMixson wrote:When you start upsetting them be prepared for their hostilities. They have threatened my life, my family members lives, threatened to have me arrested, threatened to burn down my house, called my mother names and more. They have been so upset with me they have been screaming at me through the phone. I could feel the vein their forehead throbbing over the phone.
Haven't come across things like that yet. That would start my creativity to see how upset I could get them, while recording the call of course.
1979 MirroCraft F4604
1967 Johnson MQ13 9.5 Hp
1974 Evinrude 25452M 25 Hp

Life member of the LGOPPs