Sewing machine?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to some other folks that say no as well. Have decided to bring my bolsters to an upholstery shop. Just don't want it to cost a fortune or take months.

I made my own cover, sunbrella clone material, with a std Singer, albeit it was 50 years old (so it is well built). I got it from ebay for about $50 - money well spent. I have also used it to sew a patch in leather upholstery. I had to help it get started at times at times, but the machine has held up well.

I wouldn't use a newer machine, as they have very weak mechanisms.

Watch CL for older name brand machines. Then google the model number get what ever info you can, try to find one with a walking foot.

Many moons ago I did some pretty extensive canvass work. I signed up for an adult ed upholstery class to get access to a heavy duty machine (the instructor expertise was helpful too).

Too bad we aren't closer. My neighbor has two heavy duty machines and would probably sell one for a song. Shipping would be a killer.

I actually borrowed a heavy duty machine from a buddy but he was too busy to show me how to use it. I can't figure out how to load it/set it up correctly. I watched 4 hours of Youtube videos and still can't figure it out! The thread below doesn't hook into the thread above.

20190430_065125-M.jpg

"The thread below doesn't hook into the thread above"

Yeah, the whole engineering behind how these things work is pretty incredible. I know you have to pull the thread from the bobbin up through the hole by the needle before you step on the pedal. How they hook together is still beyond me.

Just remember, it is called a "bobbin", not a "bobber". :D

Latest posts