Shimano Cardiff Reel and Fenwick Rod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Recently bought two Shimano Cardiff 401 (left hand) baitcast reels and two Fenwick HMX Extra Heavy action rods in 6'10" length. I bought these for catfishing. The reels have four stainless Steel ball bearings and one stainless Roller bearing, six pin braking a very nice star drag system, and bait clicker. Both reels are loaded with approximately 175-200 yards of Seaguar 25# test Fluorocarbon line. I added rod wrapping to the rear handles to protect the cork and give a better grip and put on hook keepers to avoid using the rods little metal loop and nicking the rod with a hook point. I was initially not too happy with the casting of these rods until I figured out that the problem was not the line or the spool tension but rather that all the internal brake pins were set in the off position. After playing around I settled on every other pin (3 total) was what I needed. At which point, I was actually surprised at how well these rigs casted. Once I got the braking pins set to my liking, I found I could cast at least 50 to 60 yards with no problems using a 1 to 2 ounce sinker. One ounce if the bait is secured to allow a pretty good whip of the rod and two ounce if I use a bait like liver (which is very hard to keep on the hooks reliably). I haven't caught anything larger than about an 18" carp with them yet but they work great. The reel clicker is a feature I've never had before and I like that.
These were pretty upper end investments in my summer hobby but worth the costs. Some look at me for having such large reels but if the time comes that I do manage to connect with a large cat or even a muskie, they will surely be a benefit.

I know what you mean about people looking at you for having a big reel, but don't let that bother you. If you happen to get a 12 or 15 pound cat on there, you'll be glad you got some muscle in your reel. I use the big "bait runner" type spinning reels on 7 foot MH rods for cat fishing for the same reason. And those Fenwick HMX rods are great.

Latest posts