Over the waterfall in a raft...six guys in Pennsylvania

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-48996845/rafters-accidentally-plunge-over-waterfall-in-pennsylvania?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark&fbclid=IwAR1eOlCW8pbPw9X3392iOk0a5zioKy0T3Jgcybfm_AKg5jclDUSMQqTSLbE

No matter how unforgiving Darwinism is, there never seems to be a shortage of stupid people.

Roger

Obviously, no one would choose to go over a waterfall.

If you have never white-water rafted, you really have no idea of the adrenalin push and sheer excitement (terror) that goes on during the many twists and turns.

My 70+-year-old wife and I have done it many times over the last 50 years. We often found out later that a few people had been killed on the very river(s) that we tested that same season. We've done the Arkansas through Colorado; the Ocoee here in TN. and many others.

Every time, though, we had a guide. He/she knew the river and the dangerous areas. Sometimes they could put us through the danger safely. Sometimes, though, it wasn't all that safe. That is part of the thrill.

My scariest recent run was in Jamaica, I believe. It was a river that was supposed to be 2's and 3's (tough enough on their own) but was running 4's and 5's due to extremely heavy rains that week. It wasn't my LAST time (at age 75 or so),.... the Ocoee in TN. was. I have now decided that I'd like to live out my remaining years having fun fishing and boating, and not drowning or getting my head whacked on a rock.

It isn't easy, under the BEST of circumstances. If you think it is..you haven't done it.

richg99

It is quite common now for kayakers to go over some very high waterfalls. Some rafters think it is a good idea. I have never understood the attraction. There is a perfect keeper hydraulic at the base of a steep waterfall. The people in the video probably went deep enough to be flushed out the bottom of it. I have swum one really bad hydraulic, Tunnel Chute a class V rapid on the North Fork of the American River. Even with a lifejacket with 30 pounds of bouyancy it got very dark and very cold for awhile before I rocketed to the surface and started puking water.

Don't let bad planning or bad judegement put you in serious jeopardy.

Latest posts