solar landscape lighting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I am just finishing a home solar based landscape and water feature project. It's cool coming home at any hour and the whole perimeter of my house and back yard are lit and fountains are running.

The builders of my house were stingy with exterior AC outlets which necessitated i go big hammer with a solar panel and my old unused large trolling motor battery. I figure the payback is over a hundred years over the outlay but to me it was worth it... and fun.

Anyone else here have any home solar projects?

I have a lot of low voltage LED lighting around the house but no solar. Sounds pretty cool.

I also just recently had security cam's installed. I no longer want to be climbing ladders anymore than I absolutely have to, so got hard wired cameras instead of the battery version. During my search for camera options, I noted that they do make solar powered ones with small remote panels (maybe 9"x7"). I don't know how well they work.

IMO you were smart to hard wire your system. I hard wired my house with alarm and video 11 years ago and have never looked back.

My and friend's experiences with little "solar" appliances is not good. Most have underrated battery, and PV cells. Add to that the inability to max the sun angle generally makes the little batteries wear out before the sun comes up again. Then there's the issue of a few cloudy days in a row will likely make it dead before recharging.

I have a few of the large floodlight solar LED security lights that give awesome light and have been completely reliable. Bought a few, then bought more once they proved themselves. Each lights up a different corner of my house, another the back deck and are set at varying distances and time (on).

Intentionally, the ones on the front of the house are set so if someone steps into the grass area or onto the walk, 10’ or so from the walkway - they light up. This keeps the stored energy ready for only when people ‘approach’ the house, if even from an odd angle. My house faces the south and the collectors are mounted very high up and all wires are hidden from sight. I also keep the collectors cleaned and polished!

Early mornings when heading out to fish at oh’ dark 2am or 4am ... I’ll routinely walk the yard (also fenced) to intentionally trip them. Working good so far!

Latest posts