Selling boat question

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
the hammer

Selling boat question

Post by the hammer »

If you were selling your boat, would you remove things like depth finders to keep for your next boat or sell individually or would you keep them on the boat as an incentive to a prospective buyer?

CedarRiverScooter

Selling boat question

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

One strategy is to have the accessories on the boat during the advertising part. When the buyer low-balls you, then offer to sell the boat minus the goodies. Usually they want the accessory. I pretty much value stuff at 1/2 of new price, if it is in good shape.

It is a big hassle to sell odd stuff on CL IMO.

the hammer

Selling boat question

Post by the hammer »

CedarRiverScooter wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 18:27
One strategy is to have the accessories on the boat during the advertising part. When the buyer low-balls you, then offer to sell the boat minus the goodies. Usually they want the accessory. I pretty much value stuff at 1/2 of new price, if it is in good shape.

It is a big hassle to sell odd stuff on CL IMO.
I was going to keep the trolling motor on the boat, as well as the console depth-finder. I was going to remove the bow mounted depth-finder, as it’s a year old and more advanced. I didn’t think it was going to be a deal maker.

onthewater102

Selling boat question

Post by onthewater102 »

Remove it - it's got more value to you than it will to a potential buyer.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

JL8Jeff

Selling boat question

Post by JL8Jeff »

I would leave the trolling motor and one depth finder while advertising it and like he said, if somebody low balls you, you can keep the stuff. That might help get a little more $$ out of a buyer since the stuff is already installed and ready to go. I've actually been selling a lot of stuff on CL the past couple of years. Every time I turn around, I see something I don't use and think somebody else could use it. With a good ad and good pictures, I've been able to sell a lot of stuff. And everybody wants to feel like they got a deal when buying a boat, car, truck.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

the hammer

Selling boat question

Post by the hammer »

onthewater102 wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 10:56
Remove it - it's got more value to you than it will to a potential buyer.
I’m not sure about that. Trolling motor, a 2011 Minn Koto Maxxum 70# thrust and a 2011 Garmin base model ...
The other depth finder, the one I plan on keeping is a year old Humminbird 5 Helix, etc.

onthewater102

Selling boat question

Post by onthewater102 »

A used helix 5 (side imaging) is about $300 all in, which is what you've got at this point - a used helix 5...this is what it will cost you to replace it so this is it's value to you (should you want a helix 5 on your next rig).

I would wager a buyer might pay $100 or $200 more for you to include it, or nothing at all if they already have something they intend to use. As others have mentioned, offer the whole rig with it and when they want to nickle and dime you'll see what the difference the FF unit makes. It won't be much - but compare it to the replacement cost of another used unit to decide if it's worth it.

Think of it this way - if the boat sale garners you $200 less without the FF but you sell the FF separate of the boat for $300 you're netting $100 more cash in pocket ultimately having sold all the same things.

Most item lots are worth less than the sum of the sales price of the individual items sold off separately regardless of what they are.

That TM is worth about $250 (having just sold a 65lb maxum myself). What kind of boat are you selling? Depending on your hull you might be better off picking up a 40lb TM off craigslist (assuming that isn't horribly under-powered) for $50 or $100 and selling the better TM for more - or reusing it in the future
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

the hammer

Selling boat question

Post by the hammer »

onthewater102 wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 16:43
A used helix 5 (side imaging) is about $300 all in, which is what you've got at this point - a used helix 5...this is what it will cost you to replace it so this is it's value to you (should you want a helix 5 on your next rig).

I would wager a buyer might pay $100 or $200 more for you to include it, or nothing at all if they already have something they intend to use. As others have mentioned, offer the whole rig with it and when they want to nickle and dime you'll see what the difference the FF unit makes. It won't be much - but compare it to the replacement cost of another used unit to decide if it's worth it.

Think of it this way - if the boat sale garners you $200 less without the FF but you sell the FF separate of the boat for $300 you're netting $100 more cash in pocket ultimately having sold all the same things.

Most item lots are worth less than the sum of the sales price of the individual items sold off separately regardless of what they are.

That TM is worth about $250 (having just sold a 65lb maxum myself). What kind of boat are you selling? Depending on your hull you might be better off picking up a 40lb TM off craigslist (assuming that isn't horribly under-powered) for $50 or $100 and selling the better TM for more - or reusing it in the future
I’m selling a 2011 G3 1756SC with a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke with about 35 hrs on it. I’ll be putting new bunks on the trailer around Christmas. Don’t have a choice, 1 was rotted, I’m sure the other is probably the same. I have a couple of ideas about a new or new to me boat. I doubt the Minn Kota will be part of those plans.

bcbouy

Selling boat question

Post by bcbouy »

it all goes with the boat.if i'm upgrading my boat,i'm upgrading my gear.
if all else fails....stop using all else

LDUBS

Selling boat question

Post by LDUBS »

When I upgraded the boat I kept my fish finder because it was relatively new and does everything I want it to (within reason Lol). I reinstalled the HB Piranamax that was original to the old boat. I left the old down riggers with the old boat because I wanted to upgrade those to electrics. Other gear like PFDs, I kept because they are good and I saw no need to buy new ones for the new boat.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I had to leave my TinBoat ruler on the old boat. Only because it was permanently adhered.
Have Rod - Will Fish

the hammer

Selling boat question

Post by the hammer »

LDUBS wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 12:58
When I upgraded the boat I kept my fish finder because it was relatively new and does everything I want it to (within reason Lol). I reinstalled the HB Piranamax that was original to the old boat. I left the old down riggers with the old boat because I wanted to upgrade those to electrics. Other gear like PFDs, I kept because they are good and I saw no need to buy new ones for the new boat.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I had to leave my TinBoat ruler on the old boat. Only because it was permanently adhered.
That’s my plan, too, with one of the fish finders. I’m still haven’t given up the Sun Dolphin 120 Pro either. The first boat I every used regularly was a small craft like it. Another was a smaller Carolina skiff type @ 14’ long and about 48” wide.
And the sage continues...