Securing decorative stones

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
Over 11 years ago I built a firepit on my patio to enclose / protect a chiminea from winter winds. After a couple of seasons the all steel chiminea rusted out.

It's been nearly 10 years with my current firepit and it has had hundreds of fires lit in it, several dozen each winter season, and during the summer I burn tree trimmings from my exotic fruit trees.

Lately I've been thinking about securing the ~120 blocks to not only secure them together but to eliminate voids that creatures can inhabit. Right now the firepit is held together by gravity on the overlapping "keystone" shaped stones, and I'm wondering if there is a high temperature adhesive analagous to silicone that I can pump into the voids where bricks meet and overlap?

I read about Liquid nails "Fuze-It" but found no reviews of it being used in/on a firepit, though Liquid nails recommends it for just such a use.
Has anyone used Liquid Nails Fuze-It or have any other ideas short of disassembling the whole shebang.

firepit1.jpg

LDUBS said:
1960 yellowboat said:
I'd just leave it be. It's not going to fall down and any bugs living in the cracks will get toasted with each fire

That was kinda my first thought. That and a can of RAID.

Nope, My dog goes nutso over lizards ans makes a mess of the firepit trying to pull them out of the crevices. That and the fact that I'm having a capstone made for it, I want it solid.

The product you describe is typically used in beads between courses. If you are looking to caulk/seal the joints against critters, it might work, but I sure don't know. Maybe ask your local masonry supply store or advice on product what to use.

Google furnace mud. Or better yet fire bricks. You'll find all you need. There are many types of fire brick cement. Although not really cement. It comes in buckets. Used in forging, heat treating, and many other things. It falls under refractory categories.

I live in Florida too and have tried many things over the tears.
Concrete block absorbs water and when heated, cracks.
I can't imagine that anything you use to cement the blocks together won't deteriorate from the intense heat of an open flame.
Perhaps your best bet is to take the whole thing apart and make a new one using fire brick.
The ones you have look like pavers and may not be suited to a fire pit.
Sell the old ones or make a planter out of them?

Vader809 said:
Google furnace mud. Or better yet fire bricks. You'll find all you need. There are many types of fire brick cement. Although not really cement. It comes in buckets. Used in forging, heat treating, and many other things. It falls under refractory categories.

Out of curiosity I look at that refractory cement stuff. It comes in a lot of different forms including in a caulking tube. Sounds like it might be a good option.

Jim said:
So would that mean you have to take the whole thing apart to lay down the cement and put it back together?

My back hurts just thinking about this. :lol:

I agree that is way too much work. I think Gnappi just wants to fill the gaps with the right stuff to keep the critters out so his dog isn't chasing them then tracking soot through the house! :LOL2:

Use the caulking. Much easier to get into the cracks and spaces. I believe that they come in a variety of sizes. Or you can point the mud into the open places. Not hard to do, stir it with a drill,and fill in the gaps. Fire it up to set the filler material. You can also warm it up before, especially if it's cold out. Check the price of both. A bucket of mud goes a long way. You can store a bucket for quite a while. A little water, just enough to wet the surface
Place some plastic wrap on top and seat the lid. Keep it in a cool dark place.

Fire bricks are very expensive. Some where around $7.00 each. If you are buying bulk you may get a better deal. But the bricks are brittle, like a gritty chalk. Drop one and might shatter into pieces with a lot of dust.

An off-the-wall solution would be to line fireside of the blocks with sheet steel. The expected rust patina will add charm.

IF...I read this description correctly, here is a LINK to a Fire Blocking/Fire Retardant spray foam that will do the job. It will also, if my prior experience with spay foam is any indication, glue your blocks together such that you will NOT get them apart easily.

Please read the specs and tell us what you think.

rich

p.s. Spray foam can be a serious mess to apply. I'd start working on a very small area out of sight. Have fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Fireblock-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-with-Quick-Stop-Straw-99053992/207077797

great-stuff-spray-foam-insulation-99053992-4f_1000.jpg

Thanks Rich, I did not know great stuff made that. It looks pretty good except if it's anything like the regular great stuff, it expands in an uncontrollable manner and makes a real mess out of anything it touches. For now I'm going to live with it and maybe later on get a tube of the Liquid nails "Fuze-It" and try it in an inconspicuous place.

Latest posts