Insurance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know what is covered under your home owners policy? I suggest you check. My policy has changed to the point that I have very little coverage. And I have very little respect for mine. I made a claim for my roof, and now I get a new definition of my entire policy. It's time to move on! Nationwide is a lousy company. Plain and simple, they want your money and don't care about you.

Back in 1989 after hurricane Hugo came through Charleston SC insurance providers would walk down the same street and if they found out you had flood insurance they would declare your house was damaged by wind. If they found out you had wind and hail insurance they would declare your house was damaged by flood waters. It was awful. I have insurance but I wouldn't bet the farm on it if I had to. Insurance providers have to try and protect their losses as much as possible to keep from folding up. Their is so much insurance fraud going on they have to really be on their toes to keep in business.

For an example, I had a woman back into my truck at a stop light. We called the police and she claimed I hit her. I was charged for failing to stop. I was issued a ticket. A few days later my insurance company called me and wanted to take pictures of my truck. I told them that I was getting ready to leave for work and would bring it by. They asked if it was still drive-able? I told them that it was just a minor scratch and there was no major damage. I took it to them and as they were walking out to the truck they asked me if I already had the damage fixed? I told them again it was only a minor scratch. They inspected my truck and realized the other claimant was trying to commit insurance fraud. They supposedly had $3500 in damages to their car. They showed me pictures of their car. After backing into me they apparently backed into a pole or tree very hard creating a large round indention in the trunk lid of the vehicle. I had my insurance company (which was their insurance company also) tell me not to worry about a thing. They had the traffic ticket dropped from me and went after them for insurance fraud. I have a dash camera in all my vehicles now.

Vader809 said:
Do you know what is covered under your home owners policy? I suggest you check. My policy has changed to the point that I have very little coverage. And I have very little respect for mine. I made a claim for my roof, and now I get a new definition of my entire policy. It's time to move on! Nationwide is a lousy company. Plain and simple, they want your money and don't care about you.

Curious as to what changed in your policy -- the wording is (was) pretty standardized.

Quite a few things were excluded.
Any type of water damage, my deck is considered as the ground, hence the water damage, personal belongings increased to$2500, or otherwise added at extra cost, electronics excluded. Loss of power, loss by nesting excluded, earthquake damage excluded. Punitive damages are excluded. And so many more that I haven't any clue about what is meant. This comes after we had filed a claim, and had our roof replaced. Also, if a tree causes damage our deductible has been raised to $2500. Our deductible has been broken down to individual damages, instead of a blanket deductible. For instance if we incur damage to our home and a vehicle, only the highest damaged cost is covered. Which means the vehicle is an out of pocket expense. As to punitive damages, if a vandal,vandals are injured, they can pursue punitive damages against us! This not something that I am interpreting. This is from the consultation from a contract attorney. Medical treatment is covered, but we are responsible if a lawsuit of punitive damages and legal expenses are not covered. In other words we have our home owners policy at a premium price for minimum coverage. A few other companies are offering a better comprehensive plan for less money.

So, the insurance company is telling you that a perpetrator on your property that gets injured is of greater value to you by finishing him off and making the body disappear?

I think you're right for starting to shop around.

Roger

There is so much more than what I posted. I honestly believe that my insurance company wants me to leave. So be it! Now that I know what to look for in a policy, and have a better idea of what I can choose, is far better than letting an insurance company dictate what THEY want you to accept.

Oh boy Vader, I'm sorry to hear about your property loss. You know a lot of what you describe is standard in every homeowners insurance policy. For example every Homeowners policy has internal limits for certain personal property, like firearms, jewelry, electronic equipment, etc. Same applies to some of the exclusions you mention, but I have to admit that I do not understand some of the things you are describing. For example, coverage for a private passenger car is not under a homeowners policy. Also I think there is some misunderstanding about the punitive damages. The policy will pay for anything that you are legally liable for up to the policy limits that you selected. But, I'm not a lawyer and don't want to really get ini the middle of that.

I would like to suggest you speak with an insurance agent before moving if only to make sure the new insurer is going to provide what you want. I suspect you will find a lot of the same coverage internal limits and exclusions. I recently did something similar because I thought I was paying too much for my Auto & Home coverages. Turns out no one could beat the price I currently have. So even though I don't particularly like my insurer, I stuck with them.

Good luck with the search. It can be frustrating.

PS: BTW, intentional bodily injury to a third party is a standard exclusion in Homeowners policies. However, bodily injury that happens to someone because you are trying to protect your property is not excluded as long as it is "reasonable".

PS. 9 years ago I was paying $5k per year in homeowner's insurance. They sent me a letter saying I needed to have my hurricane abatement stuff reevaluated for the discount.

Long story short, in order to keep the $500 discount they wanted me to replace my previously replaced hurricane rated garage door, tile roof, steel window shutters, a new front and rear door, (all met the previous year wind storm abatement add ons) totaling nearly $30-40k AND they were raising my insurance to $8500 and IF I got the upgrades it would be $8k.

I dropped them as I have no mortgage and over the last 9 years have saved $72,000. I figure if my house has been here untouched by storms some 14 miles from the coast since 1985 being self insured is likely a decent gamble.

gnappi said:
PS. 9 years ago I was paying $5k per year in homeowner's insurance. They sent me a letter saying I needed to have my hurricane abatement stuff reevaluated for the discount.

Long story short, in order to keep the $500 discount they wanted me to replace my previously replaced hurricane rated garage door, tile roof, steel window shutters, a new front and rear door, (all met the previous year wind storm abatement add ons) totaling nearly $30-40k AND they were raising my insurance to $8500 and IF I got the upgrades it would be $8k.

I dropped them as I have no mortgage and over the last 9 years have saved $72,000. I figure if my house has been here untouched by storms some 14 miles from the coast since 1985 being self insured is likely a decent gamble.

I do the same thing, except for me it is for the earthquake hazard. I prefer to say I "retain the risk". I do not think the California earthquake authority underwrites but I do know they give discounts for some EQ loss control retrofits.

Latest posts