Lost fishing partner.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18775

Reaction score
This is not a cry for sympathy. I am trying to figure something out, and wonder if you have been through it. Specifically, if you were able to fix it.

20 years ago I bought a boat, and had a number of friends to fill the spare seat. Two moved to the east cost, one lost interest, and one died. It left me with my best friend in the world, and honestly the best fishing partner. We often solved all the world's problems while hooking a few bass, watching deer, and sipping a bit of bourbon. Well, he died on September 8th.

Now my problem. I can't seem to find the energy to hook the boat up to the truck and haul it to a lake. Boats good. Truck is ok. Licenses and registrations are all bought and paid for. I just can't seem to get out of my own way with this.

Weird, even though I haven't been able to push myself out to go fishing, I started carving and painting new lures. A dozen or more that have never been tested.

Does this stupid **** go away? Did you find a way to find a new fishing partner? Or is it time for me to sell off the boat and tackle?

Doc, I know you didn't want sympathy, but the loss of a good friend is never easy to deal with and I'm sincerely sorry to hear about this.

We unexpectedly lost someone very close last summer. We are still not used to him being absent at the family gatherings. So, I don't know the answer to your question. All I can say is we keep good memories for our lost loved ones whether they be family or friends. That is about the best tribute we can make.

I am guessing your friend would want you to be out on the water. I hope you hook up the boat and get out there.

Sorry I've not checked in here in a couple of weeks.

It's always sad losing a friend, even worse when it's a best friend. My advice if you want it would be to foster a dog from a shelter, take him out with you, see if that grows on you, if it does, adopt him/her and start a new life memories for you both.

I should add, almost the same thing happened to my favorite uncle, we took him ton the pound and let a dog pick him, he was back out on the water the next spring and that relationship lasted another 10 years.

Don't let the old man in.

No, don't sell your boat. Happened to me 25 years ago. Lost my brother -in-law/hunting fishing partner, who was only 53 years old. Although I was winding down in hunting interest, it kinda put the nail in the coffin, but I still forced myself out and glad I did. Also, I have learned as we get older, we seem to be less motivated to enjoy the things we once did. I now fish a lot by myself, due to newer fishing partners with medical and/or other commitments. But I still go by myself quite many times, and once on the water, still enjoy the thrill of the strike from a LMB. Never know when destiny comes up with another partner. It happens.

Latest posts