Corona Virus

Are we doing enough, or over reacting

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
Captain Ahab

Corona Virus

Post by Captain Ahab »

Everyone please stay safe and away from each other. Highly contagious is an understatement. Here in the northeast it looks grim
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

JL8Jeff

Corona Virus

Post by JL8Jeff »

I have this bad feeling that we're not going to learn a lot from this situation. China gave us bogus information and even Italy was categorizing deaths as Covid19 related when quite a few of them were people who died for other reasons but they tested positive. NY state is doing the same thing and that has over inflated the numbers. The testing is not accurate and seems to depend on who took the swab and how well they did it. NJ has a 14 day backup in test results, geez, if you already had it for how many days before getting tested, 14 days later is close to 3 weeks so it's a little late to try and treat it. It looks like a lot of people have already had it and were never tested or didn't have any symptoms. If a vaccine is going to take another 12-18 months (and then 6 weeks to really work once you've gotten the vaccine) then we're definitely going to have another surge at some point. One thing you don't hear too many people talking about is trying to boost your immune system. All the tv and media talk is doom and gloom with exaggerated predictions from terrible models (much like weather). We're not going to have 325 million test kits available any time soon or that many vaccine doses, so the best bet is to boost your immune system as much as possible and watch your contact with other people. Sheltering in place is not going to stop this with it in pretty much every country already. All the statistics are tainted already so it will be tough to draw good conclusions. One thing I think we have learned is that we need to bring a lot of manufacturing and drug production back in house so we don't have to rely on other countries. Stay safe and just be smart. Hopefully this will make more people aware of basic hygiene as well.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

Scott F

Corona Virus

Post by Scott F »

For the Monty Python fans.
858914BD-58A3-40AB-AEDA-63490B82E308.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gnappi

Corona Virus

Post by gnappi »

Well, I spoke too soon... The end of March I went to the hospital with shortness of breath, dry cough, and sore throat... NO fever or other symptoms. I was tested for everything that could possibly manifest itself with my symptoms (heart, lungs, bacterial) and released after two days. My VERY minor symptoms lasted all of two to three days.

After a week, my COVID test came back positive.

At my age (68) I'm in very good health, but can I be in better shape than the much younger seemingly healthy first responders who have been dying of it? Also WHY my symptoms were so ridiculously minor and many had severe symptoms at the onset.

Can there be TWO strains or forms off the virus one mild and the other aggressive? I'm thinking it must be as not one person I was in close contact with before and after the onset of symptoms became sick.

IMO, there needs to be a LOT of study on this virus going forward, and I mean not just on the very ill but those who like me were affected with such minor symptoms. Researchers REALLY need to look at the lifestyle of patients like me (and those who were totally asymptomatic) to discover why! Could it be traced to regular use of vitamins, certain foods, meds, micro climate?
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

Jake2250

Corona Virus

Post by Jake2250 »

The beginning of February my wife came down with the "Flue", Sudden onset, she went to a church group function early one morning and was home within the hour complaining of sever light headiness and a fever.
I took her temp,,sure enough she was at 101 degrees.
she was feeling really bad for about six days,lost her voice couldn't swallow or speak,,we chalked it up to the flue, made her chicken broth and crackers. Luckily we had Tylenol. She only had one day of difficulty breathing (has asthma), So I had to set up her breathing treatments three times that day.
We had no idea of the Virus at this point.
After seven days she started feeling better and started eating solid foods. Finally after two weeks she felt better.
With in two weeks of her being sick I had two days of feeling like I was coming down with something bad,Throat was feeling like I was getting Strep throat, had a minor fever and was very sleepy and weak, I stayed with the Tylenol and gargled with salt water.
Two days was it! I bounced back and symptoms were gone completely the third morning! Chalked it up to a two day bug!
By the end of February we were hearing about the virus.
Reached out to our medical facility and told them we believe we had Corona Virus and asked if they would like to test us for anti bodies.
Nope, thanks for letting us know,,stay away!
We did quarantine from family members that didn't have any symptoms but let ones that had the same thing come by to visit.
We are 90% confident we had the virus but may not ever know for sure!

JL8Jeff

Corona Virus

Post by JL8Jeff »

gnappi wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 08:45
Well, I spoke too soon... The end of March I went to the hospital with shortness of breath, dry cough, and sore throat... NO fever or other symptoms. I was tested for everything that could possibly manifest itself with my symptoms (heart, lungs, bacterial) and released after two days. My VERY minor symptoms lasted all of two to three days.

After a week, my COVID test came back positive.

At my age (68) I'm in very good health, but can I be in better shape than the much younger seemingly healthy first responders who have been dying of it? Also WHY my symptoms were so ridiculously minor and many had severe symptoms at the onset.

Can there be TWO strains or forms off the virus one mild and the other aggressive? I'm thinking it must be as not one person I was in close contact with before and after the onset of symptoms became sick.

IMO, there needs to be a LOT of study on this virus going forward, and I mean not just on the very ill but those who like me were affected with such minor symptoms. Researchers REALLY need to look at the lifestyle of patients like me (and those who were totally asymptomatic) to discover why! Could it be traced to regular use of vitamins, certain foods, meds, micro climate?
Did they treat you with anything? With the amount of people who probably had it and recovered or barely showed symptoms, I think it's going to be really hard for us to get good metrics from it. It's really strange the NY and NJ have so many deaths compared to CA and other states. Even stranger are the numbers from other countries like India that don't seem to be hit as hard but have the largest population. Either NY and NJ are counting the deaths wrong (which I think is highly possible and they are counting way more than they should because people looked like they had the symptoms) or there is something wrong with the people or air conditions in the NY/NJ area. I think they say 1/3 of NJ deaths are older people in nursing homes or special care facilities but why aren't older people in FL being hit as hard? Something just doesn't seem right with the information we're getting. I can understand the outbreak in NY/NJ since a lot of people in NJ work in NYC and everyone is right on top of each other in trains, buses, subways, the streets and it spread really easily in that situation. But that would make you think India would be worse with the people sitting on the roof of the trains and hanging off the sides because it's so crowded.

Regardless, glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm pretty active and walk each day, get in a bike ride each week, do pushup/situps a couple times a week and get in some light weightlifting each week. So I think I might be one of those people that might not notice if I have it. My nose runs all winter long and now with allergy season starting, it could be tough to tell if something is really hitting me.

LDUBS

Corona Virus

Post by LDUBS »

JL8Jeff wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 15:19

Did they treat you with anything? With the amount of people who probably had it and recovered or barely showed symptoms, I think it's going to be really hard for us to get good metrics from it. It's really strange the NY and NJ have so many deaths compared to CA and other states. Even stranger are the numbers from other countries like India that don't seem to be hit as hard but have the largest population. Either NY and NJ are counting the deaths wrong (which I think is highly possible and they are counting way more than they should because people looked like they had the symptoms) or there is something wrong with the people or air conditions in the NY/NJ area. I think they say 1/3 of NJ deaths are older people in nursing homes or special care facilities but why aren't older people in FL being hit as hard? Something just doesn't seem right with the information we're getting. I can understand the outbreak in NY/NJ since a lot of people in NJ work in NYC and everyone is right on top of each other in trains, buses, subways, the streets and it spread really easily in that situation. But that would make you think India would be worse with the people sitting on the roof of the trains and hanging off the sides because it's so crowded.

Regardless, glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm pretty active and walk each day, get in a bike ride each week, do pushup/situps a couple times a week and get in some light weightlifting each week. So I think I might be one of those people that might not notice if I have it. My nose runs all winter long and now with allergy season starting, it could be tough to tell if something is really hitting me.

I heard Doc Fauci talk about why NY got out of hand. Short version is focus was on controlling spread from Asia, which made sense. The virus came to NY & NJ via travel from Europe and got a foothold. I guess it kind of snuck in the back door while everyone was looking the other way.

I also read that NY's governor asked that deaths from heart attacks and other things that could be CV related be counted as CV. Personally, I do not believe that for a minute. Though I could see how anything suspected of could be counted as CV.

The good news is it does not sound like a runny nose is typical of CV. This chart is from our County's CV website. It compares symptoms for Flu, Common Cold, and cover-19.

Stay well.
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 5.35.56 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gnappi

Corona Virus

Post by gnappi »

They "generally" don't treat a flu like virus, they manage symptoms like fever, headache, muscle aches with OTC remedies, and unless COVID symptoms (necessitating a respirator) are severe they probably do the same. Sure they've tried vitamin C as well as some other drugs for the most ill with some success but no really hard evidence to backup a really substantive claim to anything resembling a cure.

Gov. Cuomo's brother was doing nothing for the symptoms as I heard him say the fever was the body's natural way of combating it, dunno there.

So in the hospital they essentially did nothing for me other than isolation till my symptoms passed... all of two days.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

JL8Jeff

Corona Virus

Post by JL8Jeff »

My nose runs all winter long (it might be fall, winter and spring) and I have muscle aches (back is the worst but I've had other muscle pulls that haunt me) all the time year round. So I know those have nothing to do with the virus. And an odd coincidence this past winter, there were coupons in the paper for Ester-C 24 hour immune support and they went on sale at my local grocery store. So I bought them and took them all winter. Once they ran out, I grabbed some normal vitamin C as a back up. I don't normally take any vitamins so it could just be lucky timing.

But one thing you can probably say about people from NY/NJ is that most of them are not in the best shape/health (and that extends down to Philly as well) so I can see why this hit the area so hard. And seeing the number of deaths from nursing homes, I never realized there were that many in NJ. Some of them are almost being emptied out by this. When the second round of this comes through in the fall/winter, it probably won't be as bad since the most vulnerable are no longer around. Hopefully we have a better understanding of how to treat and deal with it at that point.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Corona Virus

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

NY and the surrounding area relies heavily on public transportation.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

gnappi

Corona Virus

Post by gnappi »

I received a letter from the county health department asking STRONGLY that I call them and called them today, more than surprised that their regular 9-5 office hours were extended :-)

I spoke at length to a gal about my symptoms and she asked (very nicely) if I would be willing to receive a call during the week and answer a list of questions regarding my symptoms, recovery, AND most importantly a LOT about my lifestyle.

They seem VERY interested in any drugs (OTC, script, and otherwise) foods, supplements, exercise habits, health background, family history immunizations etc.

I've ALWAYS said they spend too much research dollars on sick people and not enough on those who do NOT get sick. It seems as if on COVID they are changing tactics to learn more about those who were asymptomatic and had barely a bump with the virus symptoms like me. Lots of data for the supercomputers to crunch. Maybe a ray of hope?
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

lckstckn2smknbrls

Corona Virus

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

The Governor of Illinois has extended the stay at home order until May 30th
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

Crazyboat

Corona Virus

Post by Crazyboat »

We all have an opinion on this, here's mine.

Sweden didn't lock down their country, they advised people on what actions they thought was best and allowed the people to follow/not follow the guidelines.

Yes more people died in Sweden then surrounding countries but Sweden also has 2 million more people then the State of NJ and only half the deaths.

My thinking is very libertarian and along Constitutional lines. We have rights, some of those rights allow us to make poor choices in life, like smoking or drinking, even to excess.

We have in writing the freedom to pursue happiness and to congregate. We have freedom to practice our religion of choice, there is no provision in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that says, "All this stuff except when there's an oh [Censored] moment, then it all goes out the window."

If you think it's dangerous to go out, stay home, want more freedom, go out. Your life, your calculated risk, don't come crying to me if you come down with a virus.

Some people are saying you should have to sign a wavier if you want to go out and about giving up your healthcare. How about those (Like me) that are forced to work, do I get combat pay, or a bonus if I die from this virus? Of course I don't, you can't have it both ways.

For those more liberal among us, "my body my choice" is a battle cry for abortion rights, well why doesn't the same apply to this situation?
The other liberal cry, "Healthcare for all", well all of a sudden they want to take that demand off the table for some. Hypocrite much?

The fact is, we have rights, I personally don't think it very smart to go to church right now, but if that's your desire, do so.

Why is Walmart allowed to sell socks and shoes but a mom and pop store can't, why can WalMart sell a bike but a bike shop can't? Why can't I go to my barber and get a haircut, he can make you stand outside like Walmart and allow only one person in at a time, no?

This is another reset, another redistribution of wealth by the elite, I hope you had the foresight to anticipate the fallout, hold on tight folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

CedarRiverScooter

Corona Virus

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

Meat packing plants are shutting down. If you think TP hoarding was bad . . .

KMixson

Corona Virus

Post by KMixson »

CedarRiverScooter wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 20:31
Meat packing plants are shutting down. If you think TP hoarding was bad . . .

Are you saying the squirrels in my backyard are not safe anymore? :LOL2: