Corona Virus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumblejohn

Reaction score
This is starting to worry me quite a bit. Living in Florida, you get used to the media hype on hurricanes, but this is a good bit more. Anyone have thoughts to share.

Stay safe and well,

John

If we don’t takes the necessary precautions, all we have to do is look at Italy to show us how severe things could get. If no one spreads the virus, it would all be over in 3 weeks. Uncontrolled spreading will overload the hospitals and people will not be able to get the help they need which could cause their deaths. All we have to do is stay home, away from others, and not panic. I think we need to make some sacrifices for the good of the country.

I don't know if we're over reacting or not. I hope we're not because the economic impact is hurting a lot of people. There are a lot of people out of work because of this and I'm worried that we're doing damage to the economy that will take a long time to recover from.

I don't think our leadership has the depth of thought to realize that there will be indirect deaths as a result of the economic harm they've chosen to deliberately cause in their fumbling attempt to try and stop the point-source deaths associated with the virus.

There is no way to quantify the indirect losses that will occur from lack of resources in other areas - but I have no confidence that they've been considered at all in this debacle.

onthewater102 said:
I don't think our leadership has the depth of thought to realize that there will be indirect deaths as a result of the economic harm they've chosen to deliberately cause in their fumbling attempt to try and stop the point-source deaths associated with the virus.

There is no way to quantify the indirect losses that will occur from lack of resources in other areas - but I have no confidence that they've been considered at all in this debacle.

This may all be true, but I'm not important enough that "they" consult with me on this. I will suggest this, though. It's a fair bet that in the aftermath, there will be numerous studies done in different areas of the response, and how it can be bettered, along with shortages, their cause, and why.

Roger

Our governor just announced a state-wide lock down. My county has been under a stay-home order since Mar 16.

Compared to pandemics in the past, I do wonder if the steps taken for Coronavirus are too drastic.But I do understand why they are being done. I do try to limit information to what comes from the CDC or WHO. As expected, there is a lot of nonsense out there that causes unneeded panic.

I'm in the 'high risk' group but to be honest am not overly worried about catching the virus because I have enough sense to take needed precautions. I am deeply concerned with the number of people who have lost their jobs. And with our statewide 8-week shut-down just announced things just got a lot worse. I hope our governor uses a large part of our state's $20 billion surplus to get people back on their feet.

Public parks including state parks are open. But many of our reservoirs are shut down. I'm not sure why other than they are owned by water companies and maybe there is a concern with liability issues.

How is everyone holding up?

We are all at home and are going outside for short walks and just outside in our yard as the weather permits. Stores around here are stocked at about 75% I would say?

Meats and fresh veggies are slim pickings, but the local Markets have put in a 2 limit supply on bread and frozen veggies and "essentials" like toilet paper.

I still don't know anyone personally who has it. I myself just got back from Mexico last Wednesday, so far no issues.

Stay safe everyone! :D

I'm also in the "high risk" group if I were to contract coronavirus. We aren't that far from NYC and Philadelphia, it irks me that people are driving 80-100 miles away from those areas looking for toilet paper, seems like they don't give a darn about possibly spreading the virus just as long as they have some toilet paper. BTW, all the stores seem to be out of toilet paper and most other items they are looking for.

So far, it'***** Iowa rather gently, but there's no massive population centers here, either.
Still, I'm 63, and a former smoker. It's the wife I have to be careful for. She's 71, diabetic, suffers from Atrial Fib, and is being treated for stage 4 breast cancer. Trying hard to hole up, with outside travels about 4 days or more apart. And no, I'm not panic buying anything.

Roger

GTS225 said:
So far, it'***** Iowa rather gently, but there's no massive population centers here, either.
Still, I'm 63, and a former smoker. It's the wife I have to be careful for. She's 71, diabetic, suffers from Atrial Fib, and is being treated for stage 4 breast cancer. Trying hard to hole up, with outside travels about 4 days or more apart. And no, I'm not panic buying anything.

Roger

Some stores around here are setting up Senior only shopping hours. One grocery store is actually checking IDs.

I'll add my best wishes for your wife's recovery.

Getting more scary as the days go on if you ask me. We just had our first death in NH. Positive test results for the virus are over 100. We are a small state and it's escalating quickly.

LDUBS said:
Some stores around here are setting up Senior only shopping hours. One grocery store is actually checking IDs.

Local Dollar Generals, regional stores (HyVee and Fareway), have also started senior hours, from 8-9 am. No I.D. checking yet, but ya never know.

LDUBS said:
I'll add my best wishes for your wife's recovery.

Thanks much. So far, it's looking good. Scheduled for a PET scan early April. Let's hope they don't cancel it. It would be nice to know if the med therapy she's been on are having an effect.

Roger

I think it has been here longer than people realize already. I keep hearing stories about people who were sick and got tested for the flu but that wasn't what they had. We have to be concerned about the elderly and people with compromised immune systems, but it does seem to be overdone. I think it's more of the fact that our health systems don't have the capacity for large numbers to get sick at the same time. They closed all outdoor stuff around here. The golf course across the street is closed, the town brush dump is closed, parks are closed. These are places with minimal person to person contact and don't need to be shut down. It seems like we're killing the economy a lot more than we need to.

Being a senior citizen, I kinda like the conservative approach. Anyone can pass the bug onto you. I just as soon not be sick & or dead.

With several schools of thought on this subject I'll touch on a few.

There's is no cure, so why not leave mother nature to it's course, use common sense when going out and congregating, when people get it, medicate them and when they recover back to work. IMO it would have kept the economy from crashing as much as it has if the media had not hyped this up so much as they have. We really need more responsible reporting on all sides.

The stimulus bill that got squashed because of all the PORK they tried to slip into it. If you're going to go the route of yet another bail out, add restrictions on how corporations can spend the money ie. no bonuses for corp. leaders and no golden parachutes. I'm sure there are other common sense restrictions that can be added but geez, trying to sneak things like tighter restrictions on airlines is stupid and goes against the nature of a "bail out".

A total shut down with the exception of hospitals. It goes against my nature as an American to tell me I can't walk the streets, etc. we have rights and those rights allow me to be stupid if that's what the govt. wants to deem me. But a complete shut down for 2 weeks will complete the incubation period, those sick will get treatment and those that are well can get back to work after 2 weeks. Would 2 weeks stuck indoors be hard, for people with kids, sure as ****, adults should be able to do 2 weeks standing on their heads.

What's your idea of what's best.

You can't stimulate an economy when everyone's locked inside. They're just buying relief from panic in a short-term...or not...seeing as they can't help themselves but try to stuff a spending bill full of pork.

It just shows how rotten our political system is when people from both parties can't help but stuff their fat hands in the cookie jar when there's a true national emergency unfolding. Vote them all out is all I can say - I have no political affiliation, this system of self-promoting greed is starting to rack up a very real body count.

Such a depressing display of ignorance and greed unfolding every day. How do we call ourselves "civilized" anymore? It's a bad joke.

im in levy county near marion county. im worried for my parents. people are still going all over the place in public and ****.. if my parents die or if i die ima be pissed.. ima come back from the dead go to china and take out the CCP leaders in retaliation

onthewater102 said:
You can't stimulate an economy when everyone's locked inside. They're just buying relief from panic in a short-term...or not...seeing as they can't help themselves but try to stuff a spending bill full of pork.

It just shows how rotten our political system is when people from both parties can't help but stuff their fat hands in the cookie jar when there's a true national emergency unfolding. Vote them all out is all I can say - I have no political affiliation, this system of self-promoting greed is starting to rack up a very real body count.

Such a depressing display of ignorance and greed unfolding every day. How do we call ourselves "civilized" anymore? It's a bad joke.

I'm not an epidemiologist and have kind of decided to confirm everything I hear with what is said by CDC or WHO. Anyway, it is a shame when decisions that should be based on science are being influenced by politics.

And how is it these elected officials had millions to sell off before the market dived. I hope this comes around to bite those who violated the insider trading laws. But we kind of know how that goes.

Anyway, Mrs Ldubs and I are on pensions and are OK. I am very concerned for all of the folks who have lost their jobs. I hope any $$ relief goes to the folks who really need it to pay rent.

Doing great here. Florida seems to be rather steady. I only go out for necessities, but the clowns that bought up all of the toilet paper, hand towels, disinfectant, chicken, lesser cuts of meat, water and others too silly to mention sent us a message.

When things get straightened out again, in the future shop ahead.

Keep supplies on hand so you do not have to deal with the panicking hoarding idiots. I have not needed any of the above items as I keep my shelves reasonably well stocked, lessons learned for the rest of us.

Latest posts