Signs from Shells (shotgun & pistols)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
When I started into shooting back around Thanksgiving, my first purchase was a combination 22 lr revolver & a 9mm semi-auto. I quickly joined a local shooting range so I could learn more. I liked the range so much that I made a sign for the facility. It's name is Shiloh. The brass bullet shell sign that is shown below was my first effort.

Then, as the shooting bug got me, I bought an inexpensive shotgun and started shooting skeet and trap. I found myself with access to tons of shotgun shells. While my only shotgun was a 20 gauge, many 12 gauge shells were lying on the ground for the taking. Two new-found-friends helped and encouraged me, so I made John and Roy signs, using shotgun shells.

Finally, I made another sign for the pistol shooting range, just because I thought it would look good hanging in their store.

Every sign was made using stained cedar boards, and plenty of hot melt glue. After the stain dries, you can knock out a sign in a half hour or so. I spray a coating of Clear Sealer over everything and call it done. The hot melt glue may or may not hold up outside or to much rough handling. Since most signs are left alone once hung up, I don't anticipate any issues.

Attachments

• roy sign.jpg
    roy sign.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 339
  • shiloh.jpg
    shiloh.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 339
  • shilohshotgunsign.jpg
    shilohshotgunsign.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
  • johnsign.jpg
    johnsign.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 339
Good start to a cottage business.
Might I make a suggestion? Cut the plastic hull of the brass, round up an appropriate-sized hole drill to match the brass, and drill through the wood panel, then glue the brass into the holes. Round off the corners of the wood panel.
Just might get you a little income for ammo. (Assuming you can find it with the panic buying that's been going on.)

Roger

GTS22 Ha Ha I thought of that. Took me about two minutes to decide that it was way too much work.

I don't want or need a side business. If I wanted to work, I'd go back to what I did before. I occasionally made more than piece work on signs. Ha Ha

richg99

Those are looking good Rich. They will be a good conversation piece for sure.

Many many years ago I was a member of our local gun club and shot trap in PITA and ATA tourneys. Never got better than B class. Anyway, you mentioned 12 ga hulls laying around for the picking. All the places I used to go, once they hit the ground, they belonged to the club. I still have hundreds of empty AA hulls for reloading. Probably will pass them and everything else on to the kids one of these days.

Latest posts