150 hp equivalent Elec. Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
And, they say a 400 hp equivalent is on the drawing boards.

https://newatlas.com/marine/evoy-most-powerful-electric-outboard-motor/?utm_source=New+Atlas+Subscribers&utm_campaign=bb9425be2a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_30_01_37&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-bb9425be2a-91654449

As for price? Again, TBC. The Evoy Pro will be more expensive than a combustion powertrain, for sure. But Evoy is willing to project that commercial operators will break even at about 350 hours of runtime a year – at least in Norway – using current fuel, electricity and maintenance costs.

Stuff like this just makes me chuckle.

OK, you will pay twice as much for the engine, but you will break even in XXX.

What happens to your break even when your batteries are no longer useful?

Where and how do you charge this system?

How close does performance compare to a gas outboard when all the batteries are taken into account?

Things that might be cost effective in Norway will not be cost effective here for a long time.
Given oil below $20.00 a barrel, even our present Teslas and other electric cars won't be cost effective if gasoline costs are below $2.00 a gallon.

Yet, it has to start someplace. If and when someone figures out the battery issues (there are many) then I can see electric replacing the 9.9 hp outboards. Some States already have lakes that are electric only, even with crappy batteries.

I could see it being efficient if it were a direct drive in a boat custom designed for it.

Yeah, it has to start somewhere, but right now if I were retrofitting a boat with a large outboard I would look into the new diesel outboards.

I look at this and kind of think what Rich was alluding to. Seems like it would be best to focus on putting out a viable lower HP electric outboard. There are a lot of boats with 9.9 HP - 60 HP outboards. Just seems like a good place to start. IDK, maybe boats that are capable of a 150 HP outboard have more capacity for the weight of batteries. Whatever the case, this is coming sooner or later - two stroke vs four stroke won't matter.

LDUBS said:
I look at this and kind of think what Rich was alluding to. Seems like it would be best to focus on putting out a viable lower HP electric outboard. There are a lot of boats with 9.9 HP - 60 HP outboards. Just seems like a good place to start. IDK, maybe boats that are capable of a 150 HP outboard have more capacity for the weight of batteries. Whatever the case, this is coming sooner or later - two stroke vs four stroke won't matter.

For sure electric is on the way, but I think BIG motors are a LONG way off everyone except for the very well heeled fishermen.

Elco has 50 hp equivalent outboards and the package runs a bit over $27,000 (almost $16k in the battery) plus taxes, shipping and installation. Considering a 50 hp Merc can be had for under $6k you can buy a LOT of gas for $21k and never worry about replacing $16k worth of batteries in a few years.

Now if HP needs are conservative and you can get by on 5 or 10 hp with Elco you can be under $3k have relatively inexpensive spare batteries readily available at Wal Mart, and have the ability to go on any electric only waterway.

You can also readily rig up a few solar panels to charge your boat and REALLY go green.

Will you go out on Okeechobee in a tourney? Unlikely :)

An OK outboard can be had for under 1K. Sure, ya gotta change the water pump, so add $50 to that.

Unless you are a commercial fisherman putting 8hrs a day on it, there is no way an electric can be justified.

If avoiding climate change is the goal, get a kayak or canoe.

Latest posts