Batteries

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
I know some of you do not care for walmart batteries, but I have had good luck with them whether it's in my boat or on my lawnmower as long as I keep a battery maintainer connected when not in use. Just getting the boat ready to start another season of fishing when I discovered my starter battery had died. That told me I better check my trolling battery before it was time to get on the lake. Sure enough it was dead also.

20200403_104209.jpg

As you can see, the mfg date was 12/12. I purchased it March of 2013. So here it is dead 7 years later. The starter battery was a much smaller size Everstart that I got that same year. Not bad for discount batteries IMO.

FYI, Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, as in the SAME company that owns and makes Optima gel cel batteries. I use them (Wallyworld batteries) and always get > 5-years out of them. To me they are a battery 'Best Buy' for sure!

Have never had one die before that time either, but as on my larger saltwater boats, I swap them out, rotating in a new one every other year, so at most they'll always be a newer battery on board. I keep the old ones around for sump pump 'backups' and/or emergency lighting or for emergencies, etc. Then I trade the oldest one in for the next core exchange ... but have had some 8-years old still holding a charge.

I'm a bit ashamed to say it but mine might have lasted longer if I had bothered to check the acid level once in a while. When I pulled it out I popped the caps off and could see the dry tops of the plates in 4 cells. :oops:

I have owned many Walmart deep cycle marine batteries. I only buy them when I’m in a pinch. They usually last me a few years. I have 4 “old” Batteries in my Gator V8 jet bass boat. Three are 15 year-old m-31 AGM Sears Platinum (made by Odyssey) deep cycle trolling motor batteries. The cranking battery is an Interstate gel battery That is an estimated 22 years old. All work great. I fish a lot of whitewater and thick weed areas. I attribute their longevity to topping them off with my on-the-fly Stealth Charger. My boat has a 100 Amp alternator which tops off all 4 whenever the 350 chevy is running.

I've has good luck with Interstate batteries and they aren't a whole lot more expensive than the Walmart brands. In my mind they all will last pretty good if you take care of them and maintain them. I just had to buy 3 group 31 deep cycles for my 36v trolling motor.

I’m not sure if you can get them but I’m in England and use Optima Yellowtops on my boat.
Never looked back

I have had very good longevity with Dura Start marine starting batteries. I've had y current Dura Start for 6 years. I forgot and left it in the boat over winter so it was stone dead when I brought it in to charge yesterday, but it took a full charge so I'll see how it holds charge I guess. I have always used Interstate deep cycle batteries and had good luck.

I’ve been using the Duracell AGM batteries made by East Penn Manufacturing(Deka Batteries) located in Pennsylvania. Sam’s Club sells them at a decent price and I’ve had nothing but good fortune with them. Family owned/American made product which is hard to find in a battery anymore. Most of them come from Mexico.

I just bought their largest deep cycle battery for my solar array. I plan on adding another one later on. The closest I can get in a "better" AGM is over $300 and I'll take my chances wit a $99 battery and see.

Latest posts