Trailer probs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kajun

Reaction score
I got a prob...i just bought a 18ft jon that sits on a 14 ft trailer.....it hangs off about 4-5 ft off the back and the tongue is very light.......can this be modified to fit a 18ft jon? or should i just buy a new trailer?..i've been looking for used one but can't seem to find one.......

what i'm thinking of doing is welding on a 4 or 5 ft extension to the tongue..or buying a longer tongue froma boat trailer place....think that would work? any other ideas?

here's a pic that shows what i'm working with...

dscf0002zy9.jpg

seeing the picture,i would say a little customizing and welding would work but if you start decking and adding a lot of weight, you might want to consider a new trailer.have a good fabricator/welder take a look at it.

If you can do the work yourself, keep & modify it, if you'll have to pay, check costs 1st, but probably more cost-efficient to sell & buy a larger trailer.

I'd find a piece of material that would fit inside the trailer tongue fairly snug. Then I'd make a fishmouth cut on the tongue, slide the stiffening-piece in the full-length of the tongue (as much as possible), add the required-length piece to extend the tongue (cut to mate to the fishmouth cuts you made) and weld.

The trailer appears to be galvanized? Though most is probably gone, weld in a well-ventilated area after grinding the area around the weld. Also grind the joints in a V prior to welding. Don't worry about grinding the welds smooth, leave them as-is.

Slide the boat forward and/or relocate your lights so they're more easily seen.

ST

I would ditch that trailer and get something more substantial. Sure, all you need to do is lengthen the tongue, but that trailer is hot dipped galvanized. Welding shops can't do that, and once the new piece is welded, you will have to paint it to keep it from getting rusty. However, paint doesn't stick to galvanized steel for diddley, so after a few months, it would be coming off, and only really stuck to the tongue. You would have to use an etching primer, or grind off all the galvanization to get it to stick.

Even so, I don't think that trailer is substantial enough for the boat. I doubt it has more than a 2000 pound capacity, if that, and depending on what mods you do, you could very easily breach that limit.

But, if you do end up lengthening the tongue on it, it is doable, and all you really need is a recipro saw, angle grinder, and welder. I have to lengthen the tongue on most every trailer I buy (of course, none of my trailers are galvanized, and so far all have been on heavier duty trailers, just lacking tongue length). The way I do it, is to completely cut the old tongue out, at the back, where it meets the crossbar, and then parallel to it where the triangular side bar meets it. Then, I clean these up with the angle grinder, and make my V groove, and the new tongue will slip right in place. Jig it up, tack it, and run bead down all the corners.

I would sell and buy a different trailer.That trailer appears to be galvanized.Welding galvanized steel isn't a good thing to do.It gives off a gas during welding that can make the welder very sick.You could possibly mover the winch post forward and move the axle back.That shouldn't take more than drilling a few holes.Longer bunks that reach all the way to the transom would help.

:roll: Look at the aging on the trailer, he could paint it "as is" & the paint would stick. And I've welded (even soldered) tons of galvanized metal. Ever seen a galvanized trailer that's rusted? How did THAT happen? I might buy that on a new trailer, but his isn't. And you seriously believe that boat will weigh a TON when he completes it? I wonder what it's rated capacity is??? Maybe 1000-1200?? So he's gonna be over-loaded by 800 pounds??

Again, I've welded & soldered tons of galvanized.....and I ain't dead.....or AM I?? Booooooooooooo :mrgreen:

ST

SlimeTime said:
:roll: Look at the aging on the trailer, he could paint it "as is" & the paint would stick. And I've welded (even soldered) tons of galvanized metal. Ever seen a galvanized trailer that's rusted? How did THAT happen? I might buy that on a new trailer, but his isn't. And you seriously believe that boat will weigh a TON when he completes it? I wonder what it's rated capacity is??? Maybe 1000-1200?? So he's gonna be over-loaded by 800 pounds??

Again, I've welded & soldered tons of galvanized.....and I ain't dead.....or AM I?? Booooooooooooo :mrgreen:

ST

I agree.I've welded galvanized steel,but in a booth with a bottom vent.

Latest posts