Big time bummer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DahFISH

Reaction score
You guys might remember about a month or so ago I got a new to me 20 hp motor for my Tracker. Well today I was informed that, that motor was stolen :x :cry: #-o. the poor fellow that I bought the motor from got scamed by some scum that was stealing motors from around the area. he waited untill he had 15 motors and came up with some story about his 80 yr old father was retiring from his boat store from out of town and needed to get ride of some of his used stock. My boat guy bought all 15 motors repaired them and sold the good ones. The only silver lining to this is that they caught the scum and my guy did not yet sell my old motor, so I will be back to putting around the lake with my 9.9 untill he finds me another 20hp.

That stinks, but at least they caught the scum who stole them.....hope they hang him by the....well, you know. Sadly, he'll probably be out doing the same thing in a month.

Are you out your cash for the motor, or will you be able to get it back?

ST

It does stink! I wont be out anything my guy by order from the police needs to buy back all the motors he sold. So I will get that $ back plus I get my old motor back. My boat guy is being very cool about it all. He is searching for another 20hp for me and will honor the deal we had and I will be able to use my old motor untill he finds one.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse for you.....glad you didn't get shafted as well.

ST

Yeah so am I. I feel bad For Dave (my boat guy) is has just a small "mom & pop" buisness. Maybe he should have been more weary but to hear it from him he was just trying to help the guy out as well as putting a couple of bucks in his pocket and it backfired hard.

that is a bummer.i dont no if it helps but a couple of my bud's said GOBLES MARINE in western KY (day)#606-886-3313 (night)#606-226-2468 has good strong rebuilt out boards in the 20 to 40HP range they were real pleased with his work and his motors.if your part of PA is not to far it might be worth a phone call.

browndog said:
that is a bummer.i dont no if it helps but a couple of my bud's said GOBLES MARINE in western KY (day)#606-886-3313 (night)#606-226-2468 has good strong rebuilt out boards in the 20 to 40HP range they were real pleased with his work and his motors.if your part of PA is not to far it might be worth a phone call.

browndog,

I believe Goble's is in eastern Ky :wink: . Makes the trip a whole lot shorter :)

your brobably right waterwings,now that you said that i'm not sure but i know the phone# is right because i have used it and 6 months ago he had a 30hp merc with e/start for $1,200 and a pull start for $800 same hp.he had other sizes also.

DF, Sorry to hear what happened to you. Was that story in the paper at all? At least your boat guy is taking care of you. Could you PM me his name, address and number? I could use a good honest mechanic for my 15. Thanks!

Well the deed is done. I have my old 9.9 back :cry: and the cash from the other motor \:D/. He feels horrible and is searching for another 20hp. I will wait and ride out the 9.9. hopfully by spring of '09 he can set me up. I'm sure he has other things on his mind now.

This all came down late last week Pinball, and according to him the investigation is still taking place so Im sure it hasnt hit the paper yet or if it ever will!

What brand 9.9? Dad used to have a Johnson 9.9 and all he had to do was rejet the carb (I think that was all it needed) and it became a 15. Might be something to consider until getting a different motor. Bassboy would know what to do exactly.

Its an '02 merc. My father had that done to an old Johnson as well and it worked great. I was told that it could not be done with the 4 strokes, but I just might look into it again.

Latest posts